Hagan Off Trace Skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Hagan Off Trace Skis

Post by Johnny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am

Hey kids, so you like them long and straight? Check out the new 17-18 Hagan Off Trace! I think we are not alone to like skis with almost no sidecut... The new Off Trace hasn't hit the stores yet and it's already sold out!
Hagan_Off_Trace_180.jpg
If you love long low-angle ski tours in the wide plains and rolling forests, then you will love the Off Trace. Based off the X-Trace, the new Off Trace dispenses with fish scales and uses a (replaceable) “micro-hair” kick zone for maintenance-free and improved traction, especially on very hard snow, and improved glide. Inclines can be almost playful with the micro hair providing excellent climbing traction.

The wood core construction, steel edges and integrated climbing "skin" of the 60 mm wide Off Trace make the ski dynamic and responsive while exceptionally durable and reliable for extended low angle backcountry ventures into untracked terrain. The Off Trace ski is ideal for low angle drainages, open fields, easy hut trip approaches, checking trap lines and any other time you want the ability to depart from the groomed cross country trails. The Off Trace skis are available with or without easily adjustable, highly durable bindings that work great with hiking or mountaineering boots. Used on polar expeditions, the X-Trace Pivot binding is truly universal. The X-Trace binding is compatible with virtually all footwear, including boots for extreme cold. The Off Trace/X-Trace combination is a true tool for work and play in the great outdoors

Hagan_Off_Trace_climbing_skin_base.jpg
The permanent but replaceable skin is such a super-cool idea. The previous version of the Off Trace had fishscales. I think I might definitely need a pair next season... Rubber-cushioned steel edges?

Available (Sold out already) at Hagan Ski Mountaineering. 330$ USD (Or best offer!) 8-)

Sidecut 68-60-65 mm
Weight 1000 grams
Lengths 160, 170, 180, 190, 200 cm
Core Poplar
Construction Corex top sheet, GFK top laminate, Poplar core, GFK bottom laminate, Rubber-cushioned steel edges
Base PE Base with replaceable micro-hair kick zone traction system
User Groups Light Backcountry Skiing, Nordic Touring, Expeditions, Hunting and Trapping
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Hagan Off Trace Skis

Post by bgregoire » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Hummm...I will mention these again here (because I did last year but it did not seem to impress).

Sporten skis have been available locally here in eastern Québec for the last few years. Their RANGER ski has the same specs at the Hagan. I'm now wondering, could these be made by the same factory?

I dropped by the local shop a few weeks ago and the RANGER is now also sold with that permanent half-skin (and so are a whole bunch of XC skis too now).

Anyways, have a look:

http://old.sporten.cz/eng/catalog/nordi ... anger.html

Their are not that expensive and should be relatively easy to get ahold in eastern Canada as the distributor is in Québec, I believe its the same one that distributes the BEST nordic backcountry ski boot on earth: ALFA.

Thanks for all the info on all these new skis LJ, I'd really like to go spend a day in Sutton this winter trying out your collection!

Peace out.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm

This has the same dimensions as the Alpina Discovery (68) as well. The skin base might be an advantage to some, it wouldn't matter to me.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Likewise the Fischer Outback 68, but this in longer available lengths.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:30 pm

bgregoire wrote:Hummm...I will mention these again here (because I did last year but it did not seem to impress).

Sporten skis have been available locally here in eastern Québec for the last few years. Their RANGER ski has the same specs at the Hagan. I'm now wondering, could these be made by the same factory?

I dropped by the local shop a few weeks ago and the RANGER is now also sold with that permanent half-skin (and so are a whole bunch of XC skis too now).

Anyways, have a look:

http://old.sporten.cz/eng/catalog/nordi ... anger.html
I have had a look- at least virtually- many times- and am very interested- especially in the Expedition with a waxable base.
Their are not that expensive and should be relatively easy to get ahold in eastern Canada as the distributor is in Québec, I believe its the same one that distributes the BEST nordic backcountry ski boot on earth: ALFA.
OOOH-MAN I want a pair of those Quest Advance...

Great to hear from you man.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Hmmm...defintely a faster XC ski than OAC's 160cm XCD...but the XCD is a full 72mm underfoot...
https://www.skinbased.com/product-page/oac-xcd-160

I would consider the Off Trace if it was 10mm wider from tip to tail.

Distance-oriented BC-XCd ski:
1) lengths: to 205-210cm
2) sidecut: 85-72-80mm
3) camber-and-a-half
4) longitudinally stable flex
5) Nordic-rockered tip

Might need to quit my day job and focus on farming and making skis...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Might need to quit my day job and focus on farming and making skis...
There comes a time in every man's life...

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks Ben! You're welcome here anytime... (But keep in mind that most of my skis are now in storage, as we now live in a small (but ski-in ski-out) condo... )

Those Sporten skis are really nice... I remember checking them out last year... But man, a ski company who is not posting ski weights on their website in 2017, that's not serious... After looking at the shape of the ski, weight is the second thing we all wanna know...

Alpina Discoveries are cool, but freaking heavy and freaking stiff...

Pretty sure all Hagan skis are hand made in Austria but who knows... There is definitely a big high-tech ski manufacture in Czech Republic, as Asnes skis are now made in CZ too...

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:03 pm

LJ, after my last comment, I went out on a search to confirm my suspicions only to be confirmed by a sales rep website somewhere is new england or so that the Alpina ski is actually made by Sporten. the only difference is the cosmetics. They also produce downhill skis for a lot of companys. My guess, this is why they are bad at advertizing, they focu on building and have other businesses selling under their own brand names.

Those HAGANS are 1000gr for both? that is insane.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:46 am

bgregoire wrote:the Alpina ski is actually made by Sporten. the only difference is the cosmetics. My guess, this is why they are bad at advertizing, they focu on building and have other businesses selling under their own brand names.
My guess is that they must be as heavy as the Alpinas then... ;)
Which is probably why (both Alpina and Sporten) never mentionned their skis weight on the specs... 8-)

Pretty sure the Hagan Off Trace is 1000g for a single ski... 1kg for a pair would be totally insane indeed...! (We'll probably reach that point one day... Who knows, maybe in 10-20 years...? )