NNN-BC on-piste?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

NNN-BC on-piste?

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Does anybody use NNN-BC on-piste?

If so- what do you use for a leash?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

satsuma

Re: NNN-BC on-piste?

Post by satsuma » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:38 pm

see previous topic "NNN-BC Leash Plates"

not yet-but I attached some leashes to some old BD PolarStar skis mounted with NNN-BC bindings, using marine fittings I suggested in the topic above. I want to try these on the bunny hill at least--about my skill level at turning on XC skis., probably on a day when I am also alpine skiing.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:44 am

Yep, I do all the time...

My S98s and my Tua Hydrogens are my dedicated NNN on-piste skis... (The more I play with the Ingstad, the more I think it would also make a super-nice on-piste DH NNN ski... Quiver ski... Quiver ski...)

I always make my own leashes with removable key rings... So I can remove them for BC use... You can make your own complete removable leashes for like 6$ at your local hardware store... (Instead of 30$ in a specialized AT store...)

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:16 am

LoveJohnny wrote: (The more I play with the Ingstad, the more I think it would also make a super-nice on-piste DH NNN ski... Quiver ski... Quiver ski...)
This is actually one place my mind is going...Instead of buying a BC steep and deep ski (e.g. Objective/Tind/Vector) I am thinking of buying the new Ingstad...If the new Ingstad has the edge old of the previous- plus those open tips...My T4s may continue to collect dust in the closet...

Although I can easily imagine difficult-technical conditions where I might want more boot than my Alaskas on a ski even as wide as the Objective/Tind- the Alaskas on top of the 62mm Ingstad is a different story.

If I put NNNBC on an Objective, I am assuming they will be solely for soft fresh snow. But, NNNBC on the Ingstad...

You see- my family wants to me ski with them at the local lift serve- and I get easily bored on stiff, rigid downhill tech...
Last edited by lilcliffy on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 am

lilcliffy wrote:Instead of buying a BC steep and deep ski I am thinking of buying the new Ingstad...
In reality, what you are actually thinking is buying every single ski out there my dear... :lol:

When I bought the Skogs, my intention was to use them both for BC XC and on-piste DH... Even if it's a girls, single camber ski, the camber is still very present... (Read: you still need to squash it to turn on piste...) So the new Ingstad with the tips rising when pressured might be just perfect for hard pack turning too...

I hear you about family skiing... Another place where you can lead your mind is there: The Objective BCs are really fun snowshoes. I find myself using them all the time for just walking in the woods in the backyard... They could make a cool PHAT pair of snowshoes for the whole family too... I know, too many cool options...!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:34 am

lilcliffy wrote:
LoveJohnny wrote: (The more I play with the Ingstad, the more I think it would also make a super-nice on-piste DH NNN ski... Quiver ski... Quiver ski...)
This is actually one place my mind is going...Instead of buying a BC steep and deep ski (e.g. Objective/Tind/Vector) I am thinking of buying the new Ingstad...If the new Ingstad has the edge old of the previous- plus those open tips...My T4s may continue to collect dust in the closet...

Although I can easily imagine difficult-technical conditions where I might want more boot than my Alaskas on a ski even as wide as the Objective/Tind- the Alaskas on top of the 62mm Ingstad is a different story.

If I put NNNBC on an Objective, I am assuming they will be solely for soft fresh snow. But, NNNBC on the Ingstad...

You see- my family wants to me ski with them at the local lift serve- and I get easily bored on stiff, rigid downhill tech...

Gareth, is this why you purchased an FT 62??? Alaska's at the ski hill, with a 16 year old pushing you? I'm still have not taken my Alaska's for a spin, but on piste I am very happy to have the support of the Ski March boot. Now, if I really like NNN, I could see a 68-86 series for on piste. Hopefully I could handle that class with leather on piste. I am quite confident I could in the backcountry. Then I would mount the FT 62 NNN. Until I spend some time NNN it's just conjecture.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:37 am

fisheater wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:

Gareth, is this why you purchased an FT 62??? Alaska's at the ski hill, with a 16 year old pushing you? South of the border they would call that Huevos Grande. I'm sure the québécois can translate that, Romantic languages, no? I'm still have not taken my Alaska's for a spin, but on piste I am very happy to have the support of the Ski March boot. Now, if I really like NNN, I could see a 68-86 series for on piste. Hopefully I could handle that class with leather on piste. I am quite confident I could in the backcountry. Then I would mount the FT 62 NNN. Until I spend some time NNN it's just conjecture.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:09 pm

I have been standing on and flexing my Alaska's in mounted NNN bindings. I'm not sure if I tried Alaska's / FT 62 at the ski hill if it would be huevos grandes (big eggs) or huevos cabrados (broken eggs) ;) !

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Hey Bob,
I certainly will be trying the FT62 at my local ski hill- Crabbe Mtn.
I will also be trying the Storetind on-piste.

I mainly bought the FT62 to tour for turns out my back door- even just running laps on the sidehill in one of my fields.

I had expected the FT62 to be a miniature version of my Storetind- it isn't. The FT62 is less cambered and has a rounder flex than the ST...Surprised actually!

The Storetind is actually a lot of ski for my everyday skiing...It only gets out on the weekend when I have time to ski into some steep ravines and glades in the Upper Nashwaak.

The FT62 is fascinating to me- it has the width underfoot of an old-school tele ski, but the rocker-camber and geometry of a modern "all mountain" downhill ski. Amazing. I haven't tried it yet. Is it manageable with the Alaska boot? I will find out!

I need to give my Ski March some serious attention or find a leather NN touring boot that fits me better...I don't want to have to use my T4 every time I use my Storetind...

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 pm

hey, yeah i got out maybe 10 times to our huge, intimidating, heaven-tickling "mountains" here in michigan last winter. you might recall me thinking about (and making minor attempts at) going for stouter gear after my first few days. but ended up just doing those days on the waxless eon's and alaskas. most people thought i was just stupid...maybe i am. either way, i thought that setup was just fine for my skill level. i haven't spent enough days on true downhill skis to know what a "good" ski feels like, so i thought they were awesome!!! hahahahah. i didn't die, and i had a lot of fun....