NNN-BC on-piste?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: NNN-BC on-piste?

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:05 pm

t-$ wrote:. i didn't die, and i had a lot of fun....
This is all that matters! Wisdom for the ages

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:50 am

Bob, here are my thoughts about boot weight and how it affects skiing, and this only holds true for narrow skis that don't require a high stiff cuff to get on edge. A ski turns by weighting it, so it doesn't matter to the ski how stiff the boot is. The problem with light boots is that they have a harder time controlling the ski when they are being deflected by irregularities on the snow surface. So a stiffer boot will allow you to go faster than a light boot with less chance of the unexpected crash.

That being said it takes a level of edging and carving skill for the above to hold true. A beginner will benefit with a stiffer boot because they are often forcing the ski to go were they want it to go, which may differ from where the ski wants to go.

So with the right skills a light boot will work fine, but you have to except that you will either need to ski slower or face a higher risk of crashing due to ski deflection.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:42 pm

Al, I think I have experienced basically all you have written. That being said, while I have been quite comfortable with a stiff leather boot on piste, I am not sure I could ski steeper blue / black runs in a boot as soft as an Alaska. Even on a Ski only 62 mm underfoot like my FT 62. That particular ski is okay on they ice, I do watch my speed. The Ski does get deflected in crud. You need to understand that it is a very light ski, lighter than a Gamme at 200cm.
I wonder about mounting that ski NNN, if I ski NNN well I will. It is a great tour for tums ski in my area where a 12" snowfall is a good one. Eventually I will get some snow, and I will learn a bit about how NNN and Alaska's feel.
If I were to mount my FT 62 NNN, I would purchase a Rabb 68, a Tind 86, or an Objective (around 86). Hopefully I would be able to ski a ski like those in leather. I know I had no difficulty putting a 78 mm waisted S-112 on edge, but that ski was a noodle. It didn't really have the rigidity to generate forces that would torque the soles of my leather boot. These skis are bigger and stiffer, I would imagine at times a T-4 will be a better match.
I assume boot fit and your fondness of the Vector, which is pretty wide underfoot are why you favor the T-4. I wish I had the snowpack and terrain that demanded a Vector.
So my original post was a question to Gareth if he was planning to ski his new FT 62 on piste NNN. I still think that would be pretty bad a$$. I have been flexing some Alaska's in an NNN mounted ski. Yes, I think I should be able to make turns, but that Alaska is a high top tennis shoe. Makes Johnny's videos all that much more impressive.
Take care, hoping for snow soon.