Buying Asnes skis...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
w8n4snow

Re: Buying Asnes skis...

Post by w8n4snow » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:29 am

Neptune website must have monkey wrenches in it. Do not believe it. I would call them on a Telephone and talk to a Person. It worked for me. They had an old photo of Mr Ingstad on there too, when he was crabby- before he got the Gnardisk. Also, try searching "Neptune Asnes".. I see something comes up and still showing 195cm in stock!!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:49 am

The Neptune site has been a bit of a mess for a while.

In order to get my 210cm Combat Natos I had to call them- they weren't posted on the website.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Just received notice-

The Norseman now has this season's Asnes in stock. :D :cry:

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:42 pm

The Norseman finally got their Asnes shipment. Been chatting with them. It seems like you can pre-order what you want from Asnes in advance...So- for example- if one wanted an Asnes Tind- one could order one from a North American Asnes dealer in the summer and receive it before Xmas...

DAMN- LaCordee has ALREADY sold out of their 2017-2018 Ingstad stock! :shock:

Johnny's review must have spread...

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:15 am

Thought I might as well add to last year's thread instead of starting a new one!

I stopped by Norseman this afternoon while I was in Calgary. I gotta say, the owner Anthony was a heck of a guy. He knew up front that I wasn't buying anything tonight, just wanted to see and flex more Asnes skis in person for future consideration. And he was still happy to take me through his thoughts on the whole lineup and chat skiing for an hour! Prices are still higher than elsewhere, but it's somewhat negated for anyone out west who happens to find themselves in Calgary anyway and can save on shipping from another retailer. They also keep a lot of expert staff around apparently - in addition to Anthony, there was a former Olympian skier and a backcountry skiing guide on duty at the store.

The Asnes lineup (some of the prices I don't remember exactly, but this is close):

Rabb 68 ($750)
Two pairs in stock, said they sold great this year, bringing in larger volume next season.

Combat NATO ($700)
Lots of stock, his most popular model. Will continue bringing in high volume next year.

Nansen ($600ish)
Two pairs left, both older vintages. Since they're redundant with the Cecilie's and don't seem overly popular, probably won't order more for next season.

Cecile ($600ish)
Lots of stock, and much more popular than the Nansen for some reason. Ordering more next year.

Amundsen ($600ish)
Three or four pairs of varying vintage. Seem to be too much of a niche ski to move many (his opinion, I still think they're awesome). Considering no longer ordering.

MT51 / MR48 ($550ish)
Lots of MT51 stock, two pairs of MR48. Sounds like they are both quite popular and he's going to continue bringing in lots.

He's definitely passionate about properly sizing skis in person - every ski in the building had been tested by him and was marked with a stiffness rating in dry-erase marker. Not sure if he'll go the online store route with the skis, but it sounds like you can send him an email with your particulars and he is willing to ship a half-decent sized ski.

Sorry LC, no MR Juniors to be found.
Last edited by Smitty on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:55 am

Thanks for this Smitty.
Sounds like a great ski shop experience.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:16 pm

thanks for the update, glad to hear about Nato Combat and MT51 being popular, those are 2 of my faves.

more good news on the Asnes front - we have a new retailer - Adventure Nordique en France is now stocking the Ingstad & mohair skins! these guys rock! with a couple Alico leather boots & a new run of Andrew Refugio things are really looking up for classic tele touring gear. for a few years there we were on real life support! :lol: They also stock a good selection of Alfa & Crispi boots

https://www.aventurenordique.com/skis-a ... llski.html

found another one! This store is in England but maintains a website for US buyers:

https://us-nordiclife.glopalstore.com/collections/asnes
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Buda

Post by Buda » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Cannatonic wrote:thanks for the update, glad to hear about Nato Combat and MT51 being popular, those are 2 of my faves.
You have some Breidablikks right? Do you like the Combat Natos more? The Breidablikks seem to have the geometry of the Combat Natos but w/o the steel edges and weight.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:18 pm

yes, the Breidablikks are unbelievably light. I have not had a chance to ski them in dry powder yet, they seem perfect for it.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:02 pm

A non metal edged ski is a good addition to the quiver. Most of the time you don't need metal edges anyway. I thought the Breidalblikks would be a good replacement for my Trek Bushwackers.