Buying Asnes skis...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
smp

Re: Buying Asnes skis...

Post by smp » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to do some multi day backcountry trips up in the Yukon Territory this winter and trying to decide on a ski to buy. Travelling primarily over lakes, flatish braided river valleys with the odd low angle pass and glacier to cross, speed and distance are priority over downhill ability. I have my eyes set of the Asnes Gamme 54 but wavering between 200cm and 210cm. I am 6’ 2’ 170lbs but with pack probably close to 200lbs. From what I read so far it seems everyone that goes with a shorter length ski regrets it in the end which leads me to think 210cm is the right choice? Also while travelling with a light pack will I still be able to effectively engage the wax pocket? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:09 am

I bought the 200cm Gamme 54 and they are fine until I pack up, and then I wish I had longer. So I bought the 210cm Gamme 54 and am happy I did. Last winter I was about 160lbs without a pack, so around 180lbs with a heavier day-pack. I tend to like my skis longer, I prefer glide over grip. I was slipping a tiny bit on the climbs, but not much that I couldn't fix with technique or longer climb-wax or the mohair skins, which solves all grip problems. This is the kind of terrain the Gamme was made for. If you have the XC experience go long and you won't regret it.

smp

Post by smp » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:49 am

Went with the 210s thanks!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 am

Hi smp!

Welcome to the forum- very exciting about your Gamme 54 ski!! Which model did you get- the new or the previous model?

Please let us know how you make out with this ski in the Yukon!!!
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:59 pm

ALERT! ALERT!

AWWOOOOOOOGGGAAAAAA

Rabbs and Tindans on SPORT ALBERT! Start freaking out!!!

https://www.sportalbert.de/Hitlist.aspx?cag=M%7cAsnes

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:59 pm
ALERT! ALERT!

AWWOOOOOOOGGGAAAAAA

Rabbs and Tindans on SPORT ALBERT! Start freaking out!!!

https://www.sportalbert.de/Hitlist.aspx?cag=M%7cAsnes
Thank’s Woods,

I compared the price I got for a spécial order for Rabb and FT62 and i got a better deal from one of the only 2 stores carrying Åsnes in Canada and i am lucky enough to pick them up at the store. The thing is that you have to make special orders for skis like those 2, Tindan, and all the AT skis.

If we order from NA stores already carrying Åsnes skis we got a better chance for them to carry more Åsnes skis. I am simply suggesting to support our local stores whenever possible ;)

I almost sound like a preacher :lol:

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Yes, this is true AND think of all the potential people who didn’t get an order in on time and literally missed the boat because they waited for cold temps before buying skis... Also, Neptune dropped me like a hot potato and missed out on lots of $. You are right but it’s nice to have a viable option for Americans after the pre-season order time.

In the end, it’s all good for Asnes!

jalp

Post by jalp » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm
Yes, this is true AND think of all the potential people who didn’t get an order in on time and literally missed the boat because they waited for cold temps before buying skis... Also, Neptune dropped me like a hot potato and missed out on lots of $. You are right but it’s nice to have a viable option for Americans after the pre-season order time.

Neptune also dropped the ball with me unfortunately. Weeks went by with no reply to my emails or calls. By the time they called me back, I already had my pair of Ingstads on the way from Sportalbert. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashing Neptune by any means. I would have preferred to give them my business. It's just that a little communication goes a long way with me. My day job is in purchasing so when one vendor is unresponsive, I buy from one that is. BTW it took about 20 days for delivery to me in Idaho from Sportalbert. I did not need to pay any import duty or other fees besides shipping.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:20 pm

I think there is a real opportunity for some retailers in NA to step to the plate and offer a wider variety of Åsnes skis without having to pre-order skis such as the FT62 and Rabbs that get so talk about on this forum. I don’t know if it is too late to get some special orders but I heard that Åsnes are pretty fast this year to send orders. Maybe it’s not too late to support your « local » NA store...

Just saying ;)

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:14 pm

I had incredible service from La Cordee in Montreal. Email Vincent vlorber@lacordee.com. I got FT62 on special order this week, so could be it came in with their big season order, not sure if you can still special order now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk