And they say Telemark skiing is dead and rotting.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
STG

Re: And they say Telemark skiing is dead and rotting.

Post by STG » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 am

Harris:

I know you are a hard core downhill tele skier so I get that it can be hard on your knees even if you mix up turns. I really think that a free heel is so much better for the backcountry and allows a more natural movement and less resistant. That said, I have not skied on contemporary AT gear. I started my bc experience on a pair of Silvretta bindings which probably do no compare with current AT gear. I think telemark equipment allows for more versatility because you can do alpine or telemark turns. Is it possible to do telemark turns on AT gear? Thanks for posting the video.

Harris

Re: And they say Telemark skiing is dead and rotting.

Post by Harris » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:14 pm

STG wrote:Harris:

I know you are a hard core downhill tele skier so I get that it can be hard on your knees even if you mix up turns. I really think that a free heel is so much better for the backcountry and allows a more natural movement and less resistant. That said, I have not skied on contemporary AT gear. I started my bc experience on a pair of Silvretta bindings which probably do no compare with current AT gear. I think telemark equipment allows for more versatility because you can do alpine or telemark turns. Is it possible to do telemark turns on AT gear? Thanks for posting the video.
A good example of when I'll bust out AT gear would be a day I skied a 3rd day in a row after a major storm blew in. I spent that last day skiing double diamond super steep and deep tree runs that were somewhat skied out, but had some quality stashes left and the snow was heavy, meaning between thigh deep pillow bumps the tracks were like bobsled runs, and it was snowing, which made it pretty blind. My legs were so toast I would not have gone out on my tele gear, in fact because I was out by myself on the fringe of the ski area it could've been dangerous, but instead of sitting around the house aching I had a blast with my heels locked. I am a pretty old dude, and worse yet I smoke. I know. Anyway... To get an idea of the runs look for Left Angle Trees (Iver's Trees) on the attached map. It was a 2 run day. The previous day I was telemark skiing Chair 6 at same area, which I made a video of and posted. The day before that I was skiing Alpental double diamonds on tele gear, which I also posted a video of.

http://www.crystalmountainresort.com/wp ... 1-2015.pdf

My 2 days before...