Skis for NE Ontario bush traveling

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Hemphill
Ski style: Backcountry Touring
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX 5

Skis for NE Ontario bush traveling

Post by Hemphill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:00 am

Good day all,

I live in NE Ontario, post code P2N 1W7, and have been skiing the local xc trails for the last two years. As they are literally out my back door I have been able to use them quite frequently, but have grown a bit tired of covering the same ground time and time again. I am presently in the market for a pair of skis for use in the the bush traveling on logging roads, lakes and some touring in the bush. I have been shopping for a while but have managed to bury myself in too much information. I am 193cm (6'4") and 85kg (190lb) so would appreciate some recommendations as I seem to be either at or beyond the max height/wt recommendation for most of the skis I have been researching.

I have secured the boots though. As I have a size 49 foot this was no easy task. I bought a pair of Fischer BCX 675s so will be looking at 75mm 3-pin bindings. I tried all the boots I could find in my size and these fit the best and I got them on clearance.

The country here is relatively flat with some rolling hills and very little if any real steep inclines and usually have temperatures around -15C to -30C most of the winter with 1m or so of usually pretty dry snow of varying age on the ground. I am wanting to use the skis as a longer range and faster option to my snow shoes and will be doing some short to moderate tours 2-5km on the weekends as well as pulling a light pulk for ice fishing and light winter camping. I am open to both waxed and waxless options. I have been considering the Fischer S98s and E109s as I can secure either pretty easily but am open to other suggestions.

Austin

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Skis for NE Ontario bush traveling

Post by connyro » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Considering your primary goal of touring on logging roads and bushwhacking in non-steep terrain, the Asnes USGI surplus skis may just be the ticket: https://colemans.com/shop/cold-weather- ... hill-skis/

They come in lengths up to 210 cm. They are not scaled and require kick wax. They are inexpensive. They are heavy but not excessively. They are solid hickory, double-cambered skis with little sidecut and metal edges. IMO, perfect for touring off-trail in deep snow in less hilly terrain where turns are not the primary goal.

Other members have used and reviewed these skis: viewtopic.php?t=878

Good luck!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Hey Austin,

Maybe it would help to know what skis and boots you are actually using and why you feel like you need to change them? Or were you using only snowshoes?
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Welcome Hemphill! We will see if we can help you- hopefully not confuse you more! :roll: :oops: :D

I know the terrain, the climate, and the forest landscape youa re skiing in VERY well.

From my perspective- the Finns are the experts on what on what you want to do:

BACKCOUNTRY NORDIC TOURING IN THE BOREAL FOREST.

The terrain is gentle.
The forest is very dense.
The climate is cold and stable- as is the snow.

First three pieces of advice:
1) grip wax (waxable base)
2) BC-snow flex
3) flotation (either very fat, or very long)

The Finns (along with the rest of the Indigenous Eurasian skiers) traditionally make two types of skis for your skiing context:
1) short and very WIDE (for true bushwacking thru dense forest)
2) midwidth and very LONG (for efficient travel in the open and/or on trails)

Hemphill wrote:I am presently in the market for a pair of skis for use in the the bush traveling on logging roads, lakes and some touring in the bush.
Your description fits two very different skiing contexts in my opinion:
1) bushwacking thru dense forest
2) BC-XC skiing in the open and/or on trails

Currently, the best Boreal bushwacking ski I have tried is the Altai Hok:
http://ca-store.altaiskis.com/product/h ... ated-2016/

Other alternatives that I want to try are the OAC WAP and KAR:
https://www.skinbased.com/product-page/oac-wap-uc-127
https://www.skinbased.com/product-page/oac-kar-uc-147

What I really want is a classic crazy-long Finnish BC open cruising ski- which are traditionally about 70mm underfoot and are made in lengths to 300cm!:
http://www.peltonenski.fi/outdoor_touring/

I have not found a dealer that will ship these in 270cm...LET ME KNOW IF YOU DO PLEASE!!!
I have been shopping for a while but have managed to bury myself in too much information. I am 193cm (6'4") and 85kg (190lb) so would appreciate some recommendations as I seem to be either at or beyond the max height/wt recommendation for most of the skis I have been researching.
Short and "turny" is all the rage these days in the North American market- even for XC skiing!? :roll:

The country here is relatively flat with some rolling hills and very little if any real steep inclines and usually have temperatures around -15C to -30C most of the winter with 1m or so of usually pretty dry snow of varying age on the ground.
grip wax, kick wax, grip wax...
and will be doing some short to moderate tours 2-5km
This is within the range of the Hoks efficiency- though they won't be fast on your open trails and lakes.
I have been considering the Fischer S98s and E109s
S-Bound 98
I do not recommend this ski for both your context and your size/weight- you would get much better flotation from a S-112/S-125/Annum/Kom. Regardless- all of these skis offer downhill performance at the expense of XC performance- not what you are looking for I don't think...

E109
The current E109- even at 205cm - sucks as a XC ski in deep, soft snow. The 210cm E99 not only offers as much flotation as the 205cm E109- the E99 is more stable in deep snow (though the E99 Crown kinda sucks...get the waxable Tour instead!)

The Excursion 88 even at 189cm is probably a better deep snow XC ski than the E109- but they only make it lengths to 189cm...Can't say for sure that it is better than a 210cm E99 Tour...

Same question as Johnny- what are you using currently for a ski?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 pm

AND- I second Connyro's Asnes USGI recommendation.

They may be a bit heavy compared to an E99/E109/Ingstad, etc.

BUT- they are excellent BC-XC skis!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:08 am

For flatter places I'd suggest relatively straight cross-country skis. I often use old classic skis with a profile of 65-55-60 for this type of touring where you're breaking trail but not doing any really steep downhill skiing. Lots of cross-country skis that are 50+ mm in the waist would be good for this though.