Spring skiing voyaging... which ski to bring?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Spring skiing voyaging... which ski to bring?

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Woodserson wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:Which of your skis best matches your touring partner on the up and down?
I see where this is going. He's a full on AT guy. We ski often together but it's usually straight up and down.

So what you're saying is a Storetind 85 with skinlock would do the trick, just right.
I would have said it, but I not as knowledgeable as Lilcliffy. When I said I would look for a different ski, the Tind 85 was what I was taking about. I just didn't know it! With an 85 mm waist it should pair nicely with a T-4. What a cool ski. I can't wait to hear the review!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Ok, so what are we thinking, a mid-80's waisted ski with rocker?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Lilcliffys post was spot on. It 's pretty obvious that you should be compatable with your partner. I think your T4s would be a good choice and since it's spring a no wax ski would be my choice. It would need to a good DH oriented ski. The Alps look pretty steep to me.

It sounds like it should be a great trip

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm

Woodserson wrote:Ok, so what are we thinking, a mid-80's waisted ski with rocker?
Spring corn snow - yes?

If so- can't imagine why you would need more than that width underfoot...

Sorry- can't remember the dimensions of your other downhill skis- do any of them fit that profile?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 pm

lowangle al wrote: I think your T4s would be a good choice and since it's spring a no wax ski would be my choice.
This would be my thinking in isolation as well...

BUT- if your partner is going to be using skins- then you won't be gaining anything with the scales (you will still be limited by skin on/off transitions)- and you will still need full climbing skins to climb the same track as your partner...

AND- although a boot like the T4 probably IS the ideal boot- if your partner's boot-bindings allow him/her to shred more technical terrain- maybe you want a more rigid/supportive boot?

Maybe this is the chance to test a more beefy boot than the T4? Perhaps rather than considering a new ski- maybe a new higher-cuffed boot?
It would need to a good DH oriented ski.
Agree.
Exciting trip!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Ok, I agree with all you guys on your points.

I think I would go with a slick-bottomed non-scaled ski because on a fishscale ski I would beat my friend up the hill if it's mellow, but lose ground on the same angle on the descent. A non-scaled ski would be a better match.

I am leaning for a mid-80's waisted ski. This is because of my boot mostly, the T4. I am skiing the T4 because I entered Telemark with the Crispi Antarctics. So this was a step-up. Also, I am not the strongest guy muscle wise. I am hesitant to step up to a stiffer, taller boot because I'm trying to keep the strain down on my knees. Even though there is longer lever on the taller boot if it's stiffer it'll be more strain on my knees to bend the damn thing. I am mostly happy with my T4's but with longer skis they can lever me around when they chatter. This is a constant debate with me. I'm looking at the Eco T2's but they are $$$ and I'm a New England Scrooge, thought they would be better to wrestle longer skis.

Some of my current skis that would work for this particular mission:
Line Sick Day 94, 172cm 131-94-117 my outtabound powder ski.
K2 Wayback 82, 174cm 118-82-105. I got these skis very very cheap, but they are not doing it for me. They are nice for laying down RR Track on corduroy but they have no vibration dampening and have virtually zero rocker and I'm not sure what I'm doing with them now.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Hmmm...

I have no real time (other than short-term tests) on Tele boots higher and stiffer than the T4- so I cannot add to that...

BUT- I would have thought that the free heel would be very different in terms of stress on your knees/back than the fixed heel?

Too bad to your Waybacks aren't the ticket...And the Linesicks seem very much to phat...

Now what?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm

lilcliffy wrote: Now what?
HENCE this conversation.

It's really coming down to the Asnes Tind 85 (impossible to source, almost) and the Voile Objective, or something similar. Mid 80's, rocker, light, short, etc. Tough. A do-it-all ski for a low soft boot. A quiver killer for a skinny non-musclely guy with moderate tele skills.

The knees are debatable with tele, I'd say more stress, which is why I'm trying to stick to low soft boots. The back is hugely improved with tele-- with my condition bending at the waist is bad. Impact is bad. A free heel opens up tons of suspension that cannot be accessed with a locked heel-- ankle, more knee, foot/toes, etc. Tele has saved my skiing life.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Yeah- I want a Tind 85 or Objective pretty bad...

I would actually prefer the integrated kicker skin over the scaled base with a ski like this...

BUT- without ever actually handling either ski- let alone skiing them- I prefer the more traditional camber of the Objective. The Tind looks dead flat with rockered tip and tail- not much edge-hold on that...

Wouldn't it be a dream to actually be able to test all of these expensive skis before actually forking over the cash?!?

OOH- can you actually go for a smooth-based Objective?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Yeah- I want a Tind 85 or Objective pretty bad...

I would actually prefer the integrated kicker skin over the scaled base with a ski like this...

BUT- without ever actually handling either ski- let alone skiing them- I prefer the more traditional camber of the Objective. The Tind looks dead flat with rockered tip and tail- not much edge-hold on that...

Wouldn't it be a dream to actually be able to test all of these expensive skis before actually forking over the cash?!?

OOH- can you actually go for a smooth-based Objective?
Yes, there are both versions. I like the skinlock of the Asnes. I worry both skis will be chat-chat-chat-chattery.