Spring skiing voyaging... which ski to bring?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Spring skiing voyaging... which ski to bring?

Post by phoenix » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 pm

I'd most definitely bring skins.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:43 pm

Nice trip and really nice setup Woods! Have fun. Yes, bring skins. They will be worth it especially if your ski partner is using them too.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Woodserson wrote: But here's the real question!

Do I NEED skins for these? I have the scales AND I have a pair of ski crampons. Would I need skins? The scales are awesome they climb up anything here at the local humptydump hill as many here can attest to with the Vector BC. If it got too steep beyond this I could put in the crampons... Most climbing is done along old farming roads/hiking trails, and traverses. Are skins even necessary at this point or just extra weight? I'm in debate mode on this. Input welcome.
That would be an interesting experiment. I've never used crampons with just scales. Crampons are kind of annoying outside of the steep and icy realm since gliding doesn't really go so well. I personally would bring skins, but I'd be curious to hear how it goes if you don't.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm just tired of skins. Weight, room in the pack, wet, they seem so stupid.

Talked to my partner, I am going to take them but we're going to run an experiment and pretend I don't have them unless I'm really screwing up the day.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:10 am

If it gets steep enough you will save energy with the skins even if it's possible to keep up without them. Are you skiing with a full pack?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:54 am

lowangle al wrote:If it gets steep enough you will save energy with the skins even if it's possible to keep up without them. Are you skiing with a full pack?
Oooh, interesting point. I'll keep this in mind.

I'm not skiing with a full pack as in camping, etc. It will be day trips with the possibility of one overnighter accessed through flatter terrain, which may not happen because my partner is a bit of a gear-guy and he seems less than enthusiastic to go camping without all his stuff. I'm happy with a tarp and a sleeping bag.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Woodserson wrote:I'm just tired of skins. Weight, room in the pack, wet, they seem so stupid.

Talked to my partner, I am going to take them but we're going to run an experiment and pretend I don't have them unless I'm really screwing up the day.
Good plan. Interested to hear how this works out.

MartinF

Post by MartinF » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:17 am

Woodserson wrote:
lowangle al wrote:Most climbing is done along old farming roads/hiking trails, and traverses.
Are you sure about this aspect of the plan? I spend a lot of time in the Alps, winter and summer. In the winter, very few of the summer trails and farming roads seem to exist at all (conversely, many of the winter traverses don't have a summer life). In most areas I know of, you have two very separate maps.

'You'll still find routes, but you need to know which are there in the winter.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:15 pm

MartinF wrote:
Woodserson wrote:
lowangle al wrote:Most climbing is done along old farming roads/hiking trails, and traverses.
Are you sure about this aspect of the plan? I spend a lot of time in the Alps, winter and summer. In the winter, very few of the summer trails and farming roads seem to exist at all (conversely, many of the winter traverses don't have a summer life). In most areas I know of, you have two very separate maps.

'You'll still find routes, but you need to know which are there in the winter.
I am intimately familiar with this particular area so I'm good, thanks, and what you say is true for many places.

MartinF

Post by MartinF » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Woodserson wrote: I am intimately familiar with this particular area so I'm good, thanks, and what you say is true for many places.
Yeah, I'm always impressed when winter trails, groomed traverses etc. turn up in the exact same place year after year... when there is absolutely nothing to indicate their existence in the summer.

Whereabouts is the area you speak of?