Spring skiing voyaging... which ski to bring?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Spring skiing voyaging... which ski to bring?

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm doing a mental exercise--- let's say I could do a mountain tour this spring in Europe-- it wouldn't be a gentle rolling terrain E99 tour, but it's not going to be straight-up-and-down-super-sick-dope-steep either. Think continuous blue-square type trails with possible steeper fun thrown in. The goal is to go from A-B ski up and ski down and go places, like connect villages. Probably some walking too from one cornsnow patch to another.

I'm not going to bring the quiver, I would like to bring one ski that tours uphill in an easy way, and can handle fun turns on the way down. My partner will be on fixed-heel AT stuff and full skins. Would like to be somewhat commiserate with his stuff so if we see an interesting gully or couloir we can ski it together.

As far as I see it, E99's are out. Maybe the S98's with my T4's. I think the KOMs will be too slow and ponderous for many miles that I would like to travel. A Fischer 112/Madshus Annum/G3 78 XCD ski looms large in my imagination. At the slow end of the scale climbing wise I could bring my alpine sticks with full skins but slick bases for fast fun downhills and easier to put on miles if we get on a long low-angle road.

What am I missing? What would you bring? Think for YOURSELF and what YOU would do, and justify it.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Spring skiing voyaging... which ski to bring?

Post by fisheater » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:39 pm

I will start from my least controversial suggestion and proceed from there. I ski a 112, it is of the pre kicker skin vintage. It certainly does climb well, and it turns well in soft snow. I would imagine you could run into some pretty wind blown and glazed entries. It is usually the steepest portion of the slope. The 112 is really not the ski for jumping into steep and hard, to farm the creamy corn below. I have not skied a 98, but I think the only advantage the 112 would have over the 98 would be if it got powdery. The 112 is a nice powder ski. I own one, if I was going on your trip I would be looking to buy a new set of skis. Based only on my Anses USGI, i would seriously look at the new Ingstad with rocker.
Now for my suggestion that many would disagree with. I would start searching for a new Alico Double. I really like my Ski March, it might weigh as much as my T-4, but it is far more comfortable. It does not give anything compared to the T-4 when turning the 112's. However, for a multi-day I am not carrying a boot dryer in my pack. I would really want a double boot.
Woods, I hope this isn't just an exercise. Man I am hoping for photos, ski reports, and I want to hear everything about the food, the beer, and the wine!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:35 am

fisheater wrote:Man I am hoping for photos, ski reports, and I want to hear everything about the food, the beer, and the wine!
^^^ Please....! 8-)

The Alico Doubles would sure be awesome... I would never use Tee-Fours for touring... Koms would definitely be too slow and too heavy...
Think for YOURSELF and what YOU would do, and justify it.
Even if I'm a downhill guy, the only pair of skis I would bring would be something quite narrow for big mountain standards. Not necessarily a XC ski, but I would go for something like long Epochs or S98's. Something that can travel fast enough and turn everywhere on any conditions. Larger S112-Annums-FindRs skis are fun but they excel only on fresh powder... They are harder to ski on uncertain conditions unless you have plastic boots.

Something waxless of course for long low-angle roads, with full skins on the backpack for more serious stuff...

Can't wait to see your report on the Altai Fest as well... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:10 am

I'm really not thinking of taking my leathers, it's probably going to be the T4's if that sends anybody in a different direction... 98s vs Annums, etc.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:18 am

If I was to bring only T4's, I would bring waxless Objectives... Which are lighter than S-Bounds and much easier to turn in powder... And they make excellent phat snowshoes too... But they sure will be slower for K&G and walking... Which shouldn't be a problem since you will be with an AT friend right? ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:41 pm

I am assuming that you are looking for advice based on your current kits- or are you considering purchasing new gear for this trip?

Recommending new equipment would require me to know more about the terrain-snow context.
Woodserson wrote: My partner will be on fixed-heel AT stuff and full skins. Would like to be somewhat commiserate with his stuff so if we see an interesting gully or couloir we can ski it together.
This from my perspective is the MOST important control point on your question.

Over the years I have done many multi-day tours with a group- no matter what the snow-terrain context- the most important lesson I learned (too many times to be reasonable :oops: ) is that being on group-tour with incompatible ski kits really SUCKS.

(I still catch myself choosing a ski like the E99 when out on a tour with a group on much more downhill-oriented kits- on ROLLING F'IN terrain- I end up waiting so long I should carry a pillow.)

If part of the group is faster on the flats/rolling terrain, that part of the group will constantly be waiting for the rest of the group to catch up.

If part of the group can shred the shit out of challenging technical terrain- the rest of the group will be finding an alternate more manageable way down the mountain.

If part of the group can efficiently climb straight up the mountain- the rest of the group will eventually arrive at the summit to find the "skimoers" set up in camp, asleep in bivy-sack with full bellies.

So my fundamental tip from making this mistake WAAAY too many times:

Choose your kit so you can effectively enjoy your tour with your touring partner.

SO- AT eh? (yes I am a Cannuck)

AT- no matter what bullshit people spew about effieciently XC skiing in AT tech- is designed to efficiently climb UP and then shred DOWN.

You need your best kit to :
1) climb UP.
2) shred DOWN.

I am assuming you want to stick to a Nordic kit?

Is the T4 your most downhill-oriented boot?

What is your most climbing/turning performance Nordic ski?
As far as I see it, E99's are out.
Uh- AGREED.
Maybe the S98's with my T4's.
No doubt this will outperform the AT kit on the flats/rolling terrain- BUT, will it climb and turn like the AT kit?
I think the KOMs will be too slow and ponderous for many miles that I would like to travel.
Not if it is compatible with your partners kit.
A Fischer 112/Madshus Annum/G3 78 XCD ski looms large in my imagination.
Don't know nothing about the G3 78- but the Annum/S-112 IMHO are narrowly focused toward soft, deep fresh snow, and only offer MODERATE downhill performance. Again- even if the snow fits these skis- can you climb and shred along with your partners kit?
At the slow end of the scale climbing wise I could bring my alpine sticks with full skins but slick bases for fast fun downhills and easier to put on miles if we get on a long low-angle road.
You lost me here...
Do you have an AT kit yourself? And- how would this kit be "easier to put on miles"?
Last edited by lilcliffy on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
At the slow end of the scale climbing wise I could bring my alpine sticks with full skins but slick bases for fast fun downhills and easier to put on miles if we get on a long low-angle road.
You lost me here...
Do you have an AT kit yourself? And- how would this kit be "easier to put on miles"?
No, no AT kit. My body won't support locked heels anymore. Too much stress on the lower back.
My biggest boot is the T4.

My alpine skis are 177cm K2 Wayback 82 or my 172cm Line Sick Day 94's mounted with Voile Hardwires. If we come to a long low-angle road I can zip along instead of kicking my scales down said road.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Which of your skis best matches your touring partner on the up and down?

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:31 am

lilcliffy wrote:Which of your skis best matches your touring partner on the up and down?
I see where this is going. He's a full on AT guy. We ski often together but it's usually straight up and down.

So what you're saying is a Storetind 85 with skinlock would do the trick, just right.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 am

Not to talk you out of buying a Tind 85!!! :D :!:

But would not either the Kom or one of your AT skis with skins do the trick also?