2017 WoodenSki dot com inventory is up

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: 2017 WoodenSki dot com inventory is up

Post by Johnny » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Hey nice woodies by the way!

I also got my hands on a pair of Asnes Turs this summer... Oh I had to pay the price too... The guy didn't want to let them go for free... I tried to negociate but his price was firm... Two bucks... ;)

(But he also included a pair of vintage Fischer RC4 racing boards that I gave to Bri7... )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 pm

lowangle al wrote: Does she ski? I didn't know you were married. I don't remember ever seeing her in a TR. You're always getting new skis, I never hear about her new skis and now you are going to Europe without her. Maybe your next wife will like the smell of pine tar ;) ;)
OooHH OK, smart guys! Check out her sweet and well balanced quiver, curated by none other than moi. (She's not much of a downhiller and implored me to not spend more than necessary, so I got her these cheapo rentals at end-of-season). And yes those are Bonna 2400's... the good 2400's. Tres desirable!
20171209_174131.jpg
Johnny wrote: Woods, try to mix the tar pine ritual with something else... I found out that the delicate smell of boiling tar mixes really well with Cognac and Bourbon... Grand Marnier too... Chocolate cake perhaps? Try to make the whole thing a romantic ritual... 8-)
I actually broke into the old single malt, but it didn't entice her down into the bowels of the house. No bourbon, we're not fans, but Cognac and Grand Marnier yes, especially GM in a soufflé... maybe I'll try something less peaty next time. Chocolate cake... good tip... And are your Asnes Tur-Modell or Langrenn? Big Difference!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:57 am

Coooooool...! Nice NNN quiver! We don't see several pairs of skis without any pins very often... 8-)

A flambé Grand Marnier fruit cake would be perfect... Using the torch to light up both cake slices and the ski base... Sounds like a nice ritual to me... Tar pine flambés perhaps? :D

Oh, I just scored a nice pair of Sohler skis yesterday...! Not wood but still very nice vintage skis...

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Johnny wrote:Oh, I just scored a nice pair of Sohler skis yesterday...! Not wood but still very nice vintage skis...
print9-2.jpg

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:12 am

Apparently, some Sohler skis were made in Germany, some in Canada and some right here in Richford, VT...!

Funny, I didn't ask but the lady who sold me the Sohlers mentioned she was selling them only because she stopped skiing "a few years ago"...

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:27 pm

OK OK so I know these are cross-country skis but let me tell you, wood is good. We've had a great stretch of awesome X-C skiing weather here in central NH, perfect for wax. Cold dry snow. One day I brought out my Fischer BC waxes. The rest of the days I've been putting serious miles on my woodies, both the Asnes Tur-Langrenn and my Madshus brown touring.

Wow. They are so smooth, so quiet, so wonderful to ski on. They are like a magic carpet ride. My body is the machine and my head is transported on a floating conveyor belt through the woods. As one ski mentor told me, when it came to the waxing which so many find intimidating, "you can get away with murder!" It's true. We are not looking to win races, we are looking to cruise the miles. I had blue in red conditions, no problem. I kind of just spread it around my foot area and buffed it in a lazy fashion and went skiing and had great glide and great kick and didn't have touch it up at all for the day. Also, you can manipulate the physical shape of the wax pocket and camber in the off-season to fine tune the ski to YOUR preferences using a correct blocking/storage technique. I can change my own ski for me.

By contrast, my Fischer Wax BC's (which I LOVE in the crown) are finicky, the wax needs to be perfect, and I feel every vibration the snow has to offer and I'll never change the camber. The wax wears off quicker too, I don't know why. Also, they just don't have that feeeeeeeeel.

Wood skis... so smooth, so nice! Yeah!

Coolwhip

Post by Coolwhip » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Woodserson wrote: The wax wears off quicker too, I don't know why.
I haven't noticed that my wood skis hold kick wax better than newer cross country skis, but back in the day, at least, people agreed on both the waxing and the "feel":
wood-v-fiberglas.jpg
That's from a book I picked up recently - Explorers Ltd. Sourcebook - kind of a pre-internet way of finding gear, a catalog of catalogs. It's interesting to see the state of the art in ski touring c. 1973.
Adventurers_sourcebook.JPG

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 am

Wood skis always did seem to climb better and I can see where they would hold wax better. I almost bought an old pair of wall hanger skis last week with the intention of putting the backinto service for 55 bucks but changed my mind when I noticed the tail on one ski was split. I thought I'd get an 80 year old pair of skis to go with my 80 year old canoe.

Thanks for posting that coolwhip, after 40 years I now know what lignostone is.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:49 am

You know you're talking to real experts when they talk about ski width in inches... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Generally about 2 1/2 in. wide, narrowing to about 2 in. under the foot

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:37 am

Johnny wrote:You know you're talking to real experts when they talk about ski width in inches... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Generally about 2 1/2 in. wide, narrowing to about 2 in. under the foot
[/quote

I bet that had you Canadians scratching your heads.