Wide waisted or girdled?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Re: Wide waisted or girdled?

Post by Harris » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Woodserson wrote:
HARRIS- thanks for the tips I agree with your green circle theory. No worries here, I'm certainly not as good a tele skier as I was an alpine skier but I can hold my own in most terrain.
I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, but I did when I kinda used your post to go on about another subject that was on my mind. The cool thing I like about your responses is that you know about good alpine technique, which a lot of other telemarkers don't, and from my experience, guys who tele well usually come from a strong alpine background, like racing. Meaning, you know how skis work. My apologies. I came off sounding like a presumptuous ass, which sometimes I am.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:54 pm

OH DUDE, no way, I didn't take it that way at all. We have not skied together and you were making a point. I got it and didn't take it personally. I just mentioned it for frame of reference. And to be honest, I can handle most terrain... on the East Coast, if I take my time, and resort to my bag of tricks to get down the mountain. I'm no Tele Sax by any means...

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Woodserson wrote:I think rocker and early rise need to be factored into this equation along with tip flex.

My Voile Vectors 121-96-110 have 25mm of sidecut, but even with what seems to be a forward mount for tele do not tip dive.
One of the things I ran into with my soft-tipped early rise, rocker Pinnacles is that they heavily played catch and release chatter on me when finishing tight slalomesque turns when paralleling on the groom. It would beat my thighs to shit. I ended up taking some advice and dulling the crap out of the tips fwd of the rocker contact point, which is a lot of the ski length, relatively speaking, but it solved the problem, and they still edge well. I guess rockered skis are really designed to only have effective edges between the the fore and aft rockers along the camber, which makes sense. Have you run into the same issue with your Vectors?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:36 pm

Harris wrote: One of the things I ran into with my soft-tipped early rise, rocker Pinnacles is that they heavily played catch and release chatter on me when finishing tight slalomesque turns when paralleling on the groom. It would beat my thighs to shit. I ended up taking some advice and dulling the crap out of the tips fwd of the rocker contact point, which is a lot of the ski length, relatively speaking, but it solved the problem, and they still edge well. I guess rockered skis are really designed to only have effective edges between the the fore and aft rockers along the camber, which makes sense. Have you run into the same issue with your Vectors?
Not chatter so to speak, but the edges would definitely catch and send me off to some exciting places. The Vectors were actually not the worse offenders with this, but the S-Bound skis with "nordic rocker." I ended up detuning significantly more of my skis than I used to when using alpine gear and I didn't lose any carving ability. It wasn't enough to clear the edge and they tended to catch more. A quick pass with a stone and it solved a lot of those problems.