Do ya think US is biggest XC market?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Do ya think US is biggest XC market?

Post by Johnny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Yeah I already visited these sites yesterday too... ;)

Any TeleTalker from Russia willing to arrange shipping for me? :D
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

JeffXCD
Ski style: all
Favorite Skis: all
Favorite boots: all

Post by JeffXCD » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:37 am

bump. ... the reason i asked if ppl thought or knew if US was a big xc market is that i've heard two diverging views on it from experts. one was that the trade doesn't do PR in the US because we're not worth it. another is that we're the biggest market. maybe those 2 views can coexist: maybe the bulk of our market is a gimme for the trade and they don't need to do PR. the regulars at the dozen or show big shops (online) have their fan base and that works well enough w no PR. apparently our youth sector is growing, thankfully. i don't know how they're finding out about XC w no PR. (Jessica Diggins won her first gold a few yrs ago and it wasn't trumpeted at all except in insider media.) i was concerned XC wd fade out as boomers fade out. ...it seems like this still might happen. let's hope not! (cool Russian wood ski! let's find some!)
Jeff Potter
Lansing, MI
all the skis filling the van

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:49 pm

Coolwhip wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 am
JeffXCD wrote:My impression is that US XC is steadily shrinking. Gets zero PR or marketing. So how could it be big?
Americans have some of the highest incomes in the world, many spend more money than they earn, and there's lots of them, so it would be surprising if they weren't high on the list of buyers of something people purchase out of discretionary funds. I don't know if people on this forum would call themselves big spenders, but how many have 5 or more pairs of skis?

The linked article suggests that Russians might account for a large amount of ski purchases, but on average they only make about 20% of American wages. I expect they're more frugal in purchasing ski gear. What I've seen on Russian websites suggests that the backcountry touring gear especially tends to be based on older designs and costs less, and even the more familiar stuff is lower cost there.

Gear used by a Siberian ski touring company: Siberian Expeditions
zubiya-foto-6.jpg
Some store links:
Skis, skates
Крепления с плавающей платформой Абакан-2
Akkord Premium - Универсальные тросовые лыжные крепления с качающимися щечками
e1fcf8af80096784cfe303d89176de2a.jpg
f6dc2e7edf5871aa965c59950cecd7b8.jpg
A lot of European countries are far richer than America per capita (Norway springs to mind). I think Europe is the biggest Nordic ski market by a wide margin.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Speaking from a perspective of local observation, XC is more popular than it was (10?) years ago when I started out.. Parking lots at Nordic centers are often packed and I never seem to have the trails to myself anymore, and these last 3 years have been terrible in terms of conditions.
I also tend to think the development of a new binding standard and continuing revisions to product lines suggest that XC/XCD is doing alright.

High lift ticket prices and crowded mountains probably make XC more attractive.

Can't say I have any real data to back up my claims though
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:15 pm

Nordic took off in Southern Ontario since Covid shut down our skill hills for much of the 20/21 winter. Doubled the customers, or just about. I don't expect it to last, but this winter was also busy. I'm sure sick of the alpine experience, and price - for three decades now.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:04 am

12gaugesage wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:09 pm
Speaking from a perspective of local observation, XC is more popular than it was (10?) years ago when I started out.. Parking lots at Nordic centers are often packed and I never seem to have the trails to myself anymore, and these last 3 years have been terrible in terms of conditions.
I also tend to think the development of a new binding standard and continuing revisions to product lines suggest that XC/XCD is doing alright.

High lift ticket prices and crowded mountains probably make XC more attractive.

Can't say I have any real data to back up my claims though
The Nordic product manager at Fischer, Austria told me that they had forecast that there would be extremely sluggish demand for Nordic-backcountry skis during the Covid pandemic, but that the exact opposite occurred with an unprecedented demand for this equipment during this period. This was pretty tough for Fischer as it coincides with their factory in Ukraine burning to the ground. They did a good job rapidly sourcing what manufacturing capacity they could find in CZ. They rebuilt their new factory from scratch in 16 months, just in time for the Russian attack on Ukraine. This is very unfortunate for skis, but Fischer's focus is quite rightly on the safety of their 3,000 employees in Ukraine and safety of the Ukrainian nation in general.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:06 pm

the size of the market does not always dictate the advertising budget. Coke, Macdonalds, etc spend billions advertising in the US. are soda drinkers going to forget about Coke if they stop advertising? yup, awareness will age-out. can't ever stop the advertising machine. all of that said, I cannot remember the last time I saw an ad for nordic racing gear, or Skimo race gear, or racing snowshoes. I must not hang around in the right places.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:37 pm

bauerb wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:06 pm
the size of the market does not always dictate the advertising budget. Coke, Macdonalds, etc spend billions advertising in the US. are soda drinkers going to forget about Coke if they stop advertising? yup, awareness will age-out. can't ever stop the advertising machine. all of that said, I cannot remember the last time I saw an ad for nordic racing gear, or Skimo race gear, or racing snowshoes. I must not hang around in the right places.
I quit watching any advertising supported TV many years ago. It wasn't so much the ADs, but the TYPE of ADs. So many prescription drug commercials. It seems to be even worse now that online sports betting is legal here. All the commercials are for drugs or gambling.

If I could watch broadcast TV that had commercials with ski gear that would change everything.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:57 pm

How much advertising is there for other sporting goods in the US? Have you ever seen an ad in non-specialty outlets for Louisville Slugger or Easton baseball bats? CCM skates? Tennis rackets? Stirrups and bridles? Football padding manufacturers? About the only thing that would get major ad dollars for a mass audience is Air Jordan shoes, so I don't think ad budget has any value in this discussion.

Anecdotally, I have heard of people taking up xc due to effects of covid restrictions etc. Also heard on local Wisconsin Public Radio a couple months ago an interview with a local author who recently wrote a book about some aspect of xc and it was his opinion that the past decade has seen a resurgence of younger people getting into it.

oliveroe

Post by oliveroe » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:20 am

Advertising procedure depends on interest. Its a complete algorithm that determines advertisements to show you according to your interest and search queries. I am fond of badminton so I commonly encounter tennis rackets or other sporting goods ads related to badminton.