New to tele

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
BCwannaB
Ski style: Telemark
Favorite Skis: Atomic, g3 and rossi
Favorite boots: scarpa & garmont

Re: New to tele

Post by BCwannaB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Im going to try without the wedges first and then i might make my own as suggested or buy some voile wedges. Since the Rotafella Cobra Carve has 3 screws at the toe, is the screws are located the same as the voile 3pin? Just making sure the holes lines up.

BCwannaB

Post by BCwannaB » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Gents, I finally got to the hill and use my set-up. Scarpa T4 and atomic beta tm 24 with cobra binding and trp plates. It went pretty good. Im starting to get the equal feet pressure down after a few runs. I was so freaking nervous on the first run but they turn super good. I love the lightness and freedom of the heel. Thank you all for your comments and happy tele!! :D

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:31 pm

BCwannaB wrote:Im going to try without the wedges first and then i might make my own as suggested or buy some voile wedges. Since the Rotafella Cobra Carve has 3 screws at the toe, is the screws are located the same as the voile 3pin? Just making sure the holes lines up.
AFAIK Cobra's mount onto a standard 4 screw plate. It look like three from your perspective, but they are screwed onto a metal or plastic plate that's attached to the ski with 4 holes. If you have the BLUE Carves, I could be wrong, but this is how it is with the Red.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 am

Harris wrote:
BCwannaB wrote:... rocker launch (boot takes a permanent bent shape below the bellows (in the soles) that spring loads the heels up and wants to throw you over tips when not in a turn) is an issue you might need to address with a wedge. With that double stack you might have to drop the black plates to accommodate the wedges. But again, with newer duckbills that may not be an issue like a lot of older models suffered. I think G3 still makes them (wedges).
That rocker launch Harris mentions is no joke. My wife's first tele set-up late 90s when I taught her to ski (poor thing) included a nice pair of early black T1s (used) on Riva 2. Those early Scarpas had stiff bellows in the way Harris describes. In her size 24 she didn't have a lot of boot length to overcome that bent bellows and she's petite and doesn't have a lot of weight to bring to bear. On her first few days at resort she mentioned a couple times she felt like she was being launched over the tips. I thought to myself "everyone feels that way when they're learning..." but later that evening indoors we had her put on her boots and stand in her skis. My eyes popped because holy sh!t standing up straight with all her weight on the skis, her boot heels hovered a quarter inch above the ski!!! I had built her a set-up that did not allow her to touch heel to ski. I said "I'll be back in a minute" and hi-tailed it to the ski shop to get wedges. Next day on the slopes she said "So this is how it's supposed to feel..." 20 years later I'm still trying to live that down.

Harris

Post by Harris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:07 am

teleclub wrote:
Harris wrote:
BCwannaB wrote:... rocker launch (boot takes a permanent bent shape below the bellows (in the soles) that spring loads the heels up and wants to throw you over tips when not in a turn) is an issue you might need to address with a wedge. With that double stack you might have to drop the black plates to accommodate the wedges. But again, with newer duckbills that may not be an issue like a lot of older models suffered. I think G3 still makes them (wedges).
That rocker launch Harris mentions is no joke. My wife's first tele set-up late 90s when I taught her to ski (poor thing) included a nice pair of early black T1s (used) on Riva 2. Those early Scarpas had stiff bellows in the way Harris describes. In her size 24 she didn't have a lot of boot length to overcome that bent bellows and she's petite and doesn't have a lot of weight to bring to bear. On her first few days at resort she mentioned a couple times she felt like she was being launched over the tips. I thought to myself "everyone feels that way when they're learning..." but later that evening indoors we had her put on her boots and stand in her skis. My eyes popped because holy sh!t standing up straight with all her weight on the skis, her boot heels hovered a quarter inch above the ski!!! I had built her a set-up that did not allow her to touch heel to ski. I said "I'll be back in a minute" and hi-tailed it to the ski shop to get wedges. Next day on the slopes she said "So this is how it's supposed to feel..." 20 years later I'm still trying to live that down.
The first time I skied all plastics was in Garment Garas with G3 Targas and after a day of feeling constantly pitched over the front I was like, "get me off these things." I was coming from a very blown out, twice resoled and dry rotted Merrill SuperComp coupled with Black Diamond three pin gates aided by toe to heel Voile plates mounted on 203 Dynastar Course GSs. I was pretty excited to get on the new bandwagon, but after a day on my new gear, I friggin' hated my setup. That rocker launch was no little thing you could adapt to. I was skiing Alta at the time, working as a temp employee at a bed and breakfast, and the conditions were spot on but I was flailing. Went down to the local shop and they set me up with Red Chilis they had on hand that came with wedges. They said they didn't have G3 wedges. I did a direct swap free of charge. I suspect I got ripped off. Regardless, those wedges were all the difference. An aside, after being on NTN for a number of years I went back to my old Garas. I love them. One hell of a boot even though it was an early plastic.

BCwannaB

Post by BCwannaB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm

I don't know about other set-ups, but i didn't feel lauched foward at all. Maybe when i get more comfortable with the technique i will discover the issue. So far my front foot is firmly touching the heel piece and my back leg firmly standing on the ball of my foot.