The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by connyro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:25 am

fisheater wrote:Breaking out the Vectors yet Conny? If you are, is it filled in enough for the downhills?
Yes, it's Vector time! Downhills are mostly filled in. Should be better by next week. How's the snow holding out down there? It seems like it's been warm and rainy down there this season.
fisheater wrote:I still have a dent in my knee cap from a time I caught a tip going downhill in 2 feet of UP fresh. I hit a rock with my knee, it probably only had 2" of cover and we were playing last one to the bottom. I saw stars, but I hit it flat to flat. It hurt, but skied all day. No damage, but that dent in my knee cap is still there.
The bottoms of my Rossi bc 65's look like they got into a knife fight and lost. Totally gouged and scratched from early season 'skiing' on rock, sticks, and sometimes snow. I caught a large protruding rock at high speed and bit it face first with bruising and contusions resulting. I am very grateful for the deep snow we've gotten the last couple of weeks.
fisheater wrote:I love skiing in the UP, gouges in skis, dents in me, but a very cool place to be.
You're a poet and don't know it fishy!

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:27 am

t-$ wrote:sheesh, thanks connyro. obviously i have amazing observation skills and memory. hope to see you up there in a couple weeks...
I'm hoping to get out there at least for a day. It is a pretty great time and I encourage anyone in the region to go. The terrain at the Porkies ski hill is great and the rest of the Porkies provide some of the best BC skiing in the region. Bring fat skis because the snow gets deep!

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 am

fat skis? what are those? 8-)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 pm

t-$ wrote:fat skis? what are those? 8-)
Probably the next size up from what you currently own, and possibly more than your current boots might handle. Whatever it takes, they will be a good investment because of the fun and stability they add. That being said I think a T4 or excursion should work in soft snow anyway.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 pm

hehehe, i was mostly joking al, but thanks all the same!

the eon's are the fattest, most shapely ski i own and i'm out of ski bux to buy more gear. (like bikes, rule of n+1) i have enough of a challenge learning the turn on the skis i got without having to get more. i'm sure a true tele setup would be better for up that way, but this is what i got and i'm bound and determined to make it work! the fest will most likely be a very humbling experience...i'm due for one anyway. but man am i stoked! i'll shutup about it now and continue skiing...

Askel

Post by Askel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Oh, hai.

Finishing up my 3rd on call weekend in a row so nothing exciting to report.

It snowed

Then it melted.

Then it snowed again.

Now it's melting again.

I think it's going to snow again.

Heading to the porkies next weekend to scout a telefest campsite.

I think Bell's Hopslam is available now, so I hope I remember any good campsites I find.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:59 pm

ha :D

yeah we got nothing down here now basically...3 days of 40F, thats all it took :(

it's snow dance time!!!!!!
snow dance.jpg

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Snow dance must be working! For my location at least. Thanks!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Are you in the 12" - 18" band, or is that typically to close to the coast?

?
connyro wrote:Snow dance must be working! For my location at least. Thanks!

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:58 pm

fisheater wrote:Are you in the 12" - 18" band, or is that typically to close to the coast?
Yep, in the 12-18" band. That's where LES falls the heaviest due to the hills in that area (orographic uplift). Superior is 6 or so miles away, but 1000" lower, so any lake effect bands that come in are lifted and intensified.