The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by connyro » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:13 pm

t-$ wrote:...planning on heading to the lodge and sleeping in the car on friday. i'll set up the tent maybe saturday.
Weather forecast calls for -10F for lows tonight (friday) but it should warm up to 11F during the day Sat but back down to 0F Sat night. Should make for some hardy car camping to say the least!

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm

oh, it was cold for sure....

slept fine tho, till i started heaving from too much hopslam. oh well...twas still a great time. did you end up making it out there conny?

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 pm

t-$ wrote:oh, it was cold for sure....

slept fine tho, till i started heaving from too much hopslam. oh well...twas still a great time. did you end up making it out there conny?
Yeah, I came over for Saturday. I got pretty much first and last chair. BTW: It was -19F when I drove through Michigamme at 8 am Saturday. It was not much warmer for the first chair! Were you the guy with the branch for a ski pole? There were a couple guys wearing Alaskas, so I was unsure...Askel: Did you make it?

Conditions were fast and firm! The woods were challenging to say the least. The views were absolutely amazing. Frozen lake Superior as far as the eye can see is a sight to behold. The sun was warm and the crowd was big. It warmed the heart to see the ski hill populated with so many tele skiers. I passed on the hopslam and and headed home Sat night.

Oldbie

Post by Oldbie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 pm

I thought Hopslam would've dried up by now. I might try to get up this year to ski the ski area and then overnight in the woods. It's been a long time...

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:27 am

hahahah, shit...yes, unfortunately that was me :lol:

askel and friend were showing me the sights and i dropped one of my poles at the lift. had to grab a stick for the way back down. oh well, it worked fine. i didn't see anybody else with alaskas!! only saw a group of folks with skinny skis but i think they were there just to go xc. we definitely got our moneys worth, and it was nice to have a local guide to show me some good woodsy stuff.

and yes, the groomers were pretty dang solid. super fun to be a part of the event, even though we missed the group photo and when actually on piste i was all alone on the greens. but hey, a good time had by all! picked up a pair of waxless eons and leather crispis at the dinner/swap also. so i guess it wasn't all awash!!!

hope to see you next time....

connyro

Post by connyro » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 am

Haha. I thought that might be you, but again, was not sure. I guess if we wanted to meet up we should have said what we were wearing before-hand. Otherwise, I just look like every other helmeted tele skier. FWIW, I was the guy that ate shit right under the chair in spectacular fashion. You may have seen it: Leash popped off and I skied right onto it and down I went in a cloud of snow, cussing, and ice. Good times.

I would not call the conditions at the ski hill great for being drunk while skiing...pretty heavy consequences if you fuck it up considering the firmness of the snow and the speed you can get going on some of those runs. When we were BBQing on the deck, there was a guy next to us who had slammed his head onto the slope and was looking/acting pretty woozy. His party came and grabbed him and hopefully took him to a hospital. He did not look like he was having much fun.

I left before the dinner, group photo, and band: I wanted to get home (2.5 hrs) and have some beers! Glad you found those Eons. I eyeballed them too, but I think they were too short for me IIRC. Did not see the boots. Glad you met up with some folks. It was a rather friendly crowd.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

did see a couple folks take good spills, but i don't think i saw you! the usual few injuries too, but i guess that is expected. next year we need to make a ttalk meetup there...there are plenty of us in the region to make something fun happen...mid-day bbq or something.

talked to some folks on the lift and i was surprised at how many young guys there were. a lot from minnesota and wisconsin. course, there were a lot of you old geezers representing too!!!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:56 am

t-$ wrote:oh, it was cold for sure....

I admire your gusto t$ but conny is right about the safety thing. I don't make a habit of drinking and skiing but I started my first tele fest by slamming some mezcal in the parking lot. When I bought my lift ticket someone suggested I enter the tele race, which I did and won. Not the race, I'm sure I was dead last, but the door prise. It was tickets to the MRG tele fest. Had I not had that liquid courage I doubt I would have entered the race and never would have experienced skiing in Vermont and all that I learned there.

Askel

Post by Askel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:27 pm

My camping plans were thwarted by work, but I managed to sneak out Saturday.

T-$ found me around noon. Had great fun skiing the slackcountry around the radio tower.

Conditions back there were awesome. Also almost completely untouched. Heck, I broke trail to the west side of the tower shortly before noon. This is either a testament to good conditions in more easily accessible areas, or that pinheads are getting soft. I'm going to stick with the latter and continue to operate under my deluded self image as that of an epic hardman of adventure, skiing sick lines weaker men fear to shred.

Admittedly, my grasp on that delusion is a bit tenuous as I was feeling a bit sore the next day after. :D

Last weekend was as good as the porkies get, couldn't ask for better conditions back in the trees.

Time to start planning my telefest revenge trip, in which I actually get to bust out the tent. Looking like maybe 2/25-2/27 if you happen to end up out there that weekend Oldbie

connyro

Post by connyro » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Nice Askel! I never made it over to the radio tower. We screwed around in the woods a little closer to the main trails and it was scraped up and not great. Now that I hear the snow was good over there, I wish I had put forth the effort to get to the radio tower! Oh well. I've spend most of the last 2 seasons skiing in the woods so I was loving the groomers for a change!