The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by connyro » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:14 am

t-$: There's also a telefest (Snowflea Telefest) not TOO far from you in Goulais River Ontario in February: https://bellevuevalleylodge.ca/shome.html, https://www.facebook.com/BVLbnb/

I've talked to some folks who live in northern lower Michigan who get up to that event each year. I hear it's pretty fun and the terrain and snow is unbelievably good. One day I'd like to make it over there for the telefest, but Mid to late February is the BEST snow where I live and ski, so it's hard to get over there for that event.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Sweet, thanks for the heads up! Probly can't make it this year. The porkies now, Swiss alp ski happening in late march, so I'm tapped. And of course my used gear addiction...but maybe next year. Hope to see you in a couple weeks, so you can give me some lessons!!

connyro

Post by connyro » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Maybe going to make it for Porkies telefest on Saturday for the day depending on weather and gumption. There's plenty of more qualified/willing people at telefest that could give lessons. Personally, I'd rather ski than dole out bad ski advice!

Askel

Post by Askel » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Porkies survived the last round of warm temps. Just need a couple inches of fresh snow and it should be in awesome shape for telefest.

Crosscut cabin is open now too!

If you get the chance, definitely try and make Sno-Flea or plan a weekend at the Bellevue sometime. Midwest skiing at it's best.

Oldbie

Post by Oldbie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 am

One of my fondest memories is twisting down a NARROW AF hiking trail down to Mirror Lake on a seemingly endless right turn in hip deep powder, just dipping in and the coefficient of friction equalizing perfectly (through little to no action or skiing skill on my part). Just...woooooooooosh....while my buddies humped the sled full of supplies on snowshoes...sorry, dudes, but I gotta do my thing here. I'm sure there's a nice spot to camp down here.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 am

speaking of campsites...askel, have you decided where you are gonna set up? i probly won't roll into the porkies till 10 to midnight, but i'll be looking for you guys. planning on heading to the lodge and sleeping in the car on friday. i'll set up the tent maybe saturday. see you in a few days!!

Askel

Post by Askel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 am

PM sent. Don't want anybody finding my secret stash of primo firewood for the weekend. :mrgreen:

Askel

Post by Askel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 am

Oldbie wrote:One of my fondest memories is twisting down a NARROW AF hiking trail down to Mirror Lake on a seemingly endless right turn in hip deep powder, just dipping in and the coefficient of friction equalizing perfectly (through little to no action or skiing skill on my part). Just...woooooooooosh....while my buddies humped the sled full of supplies on snowshoes...sorry, dudes, but I gotta do my thing here. I'm sure there's a nice spot to camp down here.

Mirror Lake in the porkies? That's a trek!

Did you pack it in from the parking lot or did you hitch a ride from a snowmobiler in on south boundary road?

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Just stumbled across this UP weather resource: http://funintheup.com/snowfall/upper-pe ... ll-totals/

Oldbie

Post by Oldbie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Oh, my bad. It was Lake of the Clouds (did a trip out to Mirror Lake once, but that was in the summer). Camped not too far from one of the cabins over there and then schlepped back on the road up to the escarpment overlook.