The UP Conditions Report Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

Re: The UP Conditions Report Thread

Post by t-$ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:45 pm

:+1:

always lookin out for my yooper's....

glad you guys are getting it! see you in a couple weeks

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:33 pm

Well, we got 6 to 8 inches in town last night but it looks like up in the hurons, we got a foot plus. Dense, wind-blown snow. Not ideal but the leeward side of the hills should be great. Snowpack should be around 40 inches up in the hills! Won't know until tomorrow as the roads are shitty, I'm busy, and I'm tired from shoveling all this snow! We are supposed to warm up into the low 40s by the weekend, but there's hope for more snow early next week. Sure beats last year ;)

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:36 pm

FINALLY made it up to ski camp after the big storm on Monday/Tuesday. Looks like we got over a foot from that system. Dense, windblown but with super fluffy lake effect on top. All this is on top of a thin ice layer which is on top of the softest LES I've seen in a while. So every so often, you'd hear a loud low WHUMP! and small trees would shake and cracks would appear as the snow settled. It was a bit disconcerting. Some great skiing was had.

Looking across to ski terrain...
0126b.jpg
Ice -tipped branches and blue skies made for a scenic day!
012618a.jpg

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 pm

mmmmm, puffy....

can't wait to get up there...2 weeks and counting...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 am

Looks nice Conny, how many guys will there be at ski camp? I imagine you have enough terrain that you don't fight for freshies.

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 am

fisheater wrote:Looks nice Conny, how many guys will there be at ski camp? I imagine you have enough terrain that you don't fight for freshies.
We are fortunate enough to be situated on a large privately-owned property which happens to be adjacent to public-access land on basically all 4 sides. In the middle of nowhere, several miles from the nearest 'road'. There's several areas that we can ski to that are within striking distance from our camp: anything from long, low-angle cruising runs to super-steep cliff drops and short chutes/stream beds/waterfalls, anywhere from 150'-350' vertical. There's also lots of XCD-type touring/adventuring/camping possibilities as well, if you are willing to break trail all day long. We usually ski in groups of 5 or less, and lack of freshies are never an issue.

I've probably already said too much...first rule of ski camp is you do not talk about ski camp...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:21 pm

That is a Michigan skiers paradise, it probably is best not to say too much. I am sure it will be a great camp

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:06 pm

ah, i see. you are part of "the club". you know, i've been an avid outdoorsman my whole life, and a born michigander. i just herd of the club only a couple years ago. i was astonished when i read a bit more about it. i couldn't believe i had never head of it before. don't know if you really are, but even if you have access to their land, you are a lucky person.

i had thought at first, "ooh, sounds like a good challenge!", but i chickened out cause i'm old and have responsibilities, and i don't know what would happen if i got caught out there. :? but it'd be nice to see the land,...

anyway...

connyro

Post by connyro » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:33 pm

t-$ wrote:ah, i see. you are part of "the club". you know, i've been an avid outdoorsman my whole life, and a born michigander. i just herd of the club only a couple years ago. i was astonished when i read a bit more about it. i couldn't believe i had never head of it before. don't know if you really are, but even if you have access to their land, you are a lucky person.

i had thought at first, "ooh, sounds like a good challenge!", but i chickened out cause i'm old and have responsibilities, and i don't know what would happen if i got caught out there. :? but it'd be nice to see the land,...

anyway...
Nope, NOT club member. I wish. I've only had the opportunity to ski in the club (HMC) a few times as a guest of a member. The club encompasses the lion-share of the Huron Mtns and a large percent of the best terrain, but not all of it! They have several thousand acres including some extensive stands of virgin forest as well as many pristine lakes, etc. But it's private and guarded year round by some really dedicated security people. They WILL arrest your trespassing ass, so if you try to sneak in, it better be worth the risk...I wouldn't. But there's some serious terrain in the club that never gets much winter traffic. Kinda sucks to know it's right there, but you are not allowed in.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 pm

well from what i've heard about the place...might be worth the risk ;)

just kidding. i'm past my time on that stuff now. go back a decade, i'd be there in a heartbeat. winter is for sure the time to go, but you'd have to figure out how to get off the road without leaving tracks...and putting a car somewhere close to that place for a couple days unnoticed would be tough.

don't think i haven't thought about it though :twisted: