The friggin' Triple Rs

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

The friggin' Triple Rs

Post by Harris » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:23 am

Looks like it might have broke, but out west here we've been stuck with a high pressure zone offshore that is fully shutting down moisture from Washington to CA. It happened in 2014/15 and was dubbed the "Ridiculously Resilient Ridgeline" or triple R by meteorologists. That year was a horrific season on the West Coast. Hopefully the snow and rain today is a good fortune. Luckily due to the severe inversion what early snow we have has stuck around and is skiable, despite the stream crossings, but my skis already have significant rock damage. Unlike out East they don't do any summer slope prep, minimal snow making, and pathetic grooming. How's things out East?

t-$

Re: The friggin' Triple Rs

Post by t-$ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:11 am

well, we aren't on fire in the midwest, so we got that goin for us...

hope it gets better for ya's

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:08 am

Similar in Eastern Washington. We actually had snow in Walla Walla yesterday, but the inversion is supposed to end. The Blues had about 4 inches yesterday. I didn't ski this week but plan to be out skiing Thursday or Friday I don't know if Bluewood or Anthony Lakes will be open by next weekend.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Also suffering the triple R in Utah. :cry:

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I was checking Snow Country site for Oregon resort snow conditions. Pretty miserable. The worst early winter in Oregon that I remember was winter of 1977-78. There was no measurable snow in the southern volcano chain until mid-January.
The one benefit was access to the high lakes for iceskating on clear ice.

Satsuma, I saw on Snow Country that Spout Springs is closed for 2017-18. Know why?
Spout Springs was the first time I skied at a "resort" (1960 after moving from upstate NY, age 12). At the time, one T-bar and several ropetows. Used to help groom the runs in fall to get free ski days.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein