and now....the rain

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rock_Doc

Re: and now....the rain

Post by Rock_Doc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Central Oregon Cascades are finally turning the corner after quite the sputtering start to the season. I'm eyeing Friday as a good day to play hookie!
Here's the Hoodoo forecast for the next few days - WOOT WOOT!
Wednesday night
Snow showers, mainly before 8pm. Low around 21. Southwest wind 13 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow showers. High near 30. Breezy, with a southwest wind 18 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow showers. Low around 21. West southwest wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Friday
Snow showers. High near 30. Southwest wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:03 am

man, must be nice...

47F here tomorrow :(

Rock_Doc

Post by Rock_Doc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Rock_Doc wrote:Central Oregon Cascades are finally turning the corner after quite the sputtering start to the season.
Hoodoo skied quite well yesterday with ~11" in 24 hours (5" overnight) and temps in the low the mid 20's, the snow stayed dry all day. It got tracked out pretty fast in the am, but the first couple of hours delivered fresh tracks, and there were deep patches to be found throughout the day. In the afternoon we traversed out to the lower part of the east "face" and had a nice open slope of fresh wind blown for several runs. With the early season base (~55"), a lot of manzanita shrubs and small evergreens are still lurking just under the snow surface. That coupled with some deep drifts resulted in more than one spectacular, somersaulting falls. Some good turns were had as well!

With the impressive number of tele skiers I saw out yesterday (i.e. more than a small handful), I've decided that Hoodoo is the unofficial center of the tele universe in the Pacific Northwest.

Cheers!

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Dangit, quit rubbing it in!! This is the thread for bitching about the heat!!! :) by the way, 52 yesterday and 50 right now. Temps, not inches of snow :(

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Fucking 52 today here in the Hudson Valley too! Wtf. Snow MAY arrive this Tuesday, but looks to be a dusting at best. Since we have zero base currently it may just prove a cruel joke :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Let's hope Feb. 2018 is better than January, it's turned out to be quite the dud for the northeast. Brown and muddy :cry:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)