ScottyBob skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
telemarkmark

Re: ScottyBob skis

Post by telemarkmark » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:50 am

I think the ball of the inside boot is actually behind the centre of the ski.
I got mine in their summer sale, still more than I would pay for a ‘normal’ ski, but I have lusted after a pair for at least 20 years.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:53 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Woodserson wrote:Scotty Bob
RIGHT! You are correct sir! Forgot about those mind-blowing things for a moment...
If the Scotty Bob technology works- never tried them- they would be a nightmare with the "wrong" binding on the wrong ski.

Which actually leads me to a thought...

If the Scotty Bob Telemark ski actually works- what happens when you make a parallel turn on a Scotty Bob Telemark ski?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:47 pm

teleclub wrote:
telemarkmark wrote:I have had a pair of Headrush for a few years, love them. Very lively fun ski, looks so cooool.
You would think that the tail cut out would correspond to the difference in where you weight the flat outer boot and the raised inner boot, but in fact it is far more. What the tail cut out really does is put the weight on the inside ski further back making it easy to angle the inner ski a wee bit more more than the outer, so you can really work it.
That makes sense--so your rear ski is being pressured in the center of its edged length by the ball-of-the-foot.
Makes sense to me. If the lead ski is pressuring the ski under the center of the boot, the uphill ski is being prssured under the toe plate, 3 or 4 inches forward toward the tip. On a conventional ski I doubt the last few inches of edge on the outside ski is doing anything positive for you anyway, so Scottybob removed it.

laxboy

Post by laxboy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:14 am

I have 2 pairs of Headrush's. My first and original pair were of the intermediate length. They are awesome in the powder and in tight trees. I got them as factory seconds back in 2005ish. They had minimal camber when new and were quite soft initially but were head and shoulders over what I had before. I skiied them a lot but eventually noticed they were becoming quite chattery when going fast on hard pack. Especially if not on an edge. Say 2011ish... It's possible they got softer with use, or maybe I just started skiing more on the groomers with my young kids instead of off-piste and I noticed it more.
Around 2012 I found a longer pair on craigslist. For whatever reason they are stiffer and much more stable at speed, and since I no longer live in CO with endless deep powder days in the backcountry, I ski the stiffer ski's almost exclusively in the 1-2 days a year I get at my "local" mtn that's a 4 hrs drive away in SoCal. I should also note that the bindings are offset from their optimum location on the longer skis becasue I ripped out the original bindings that came with them before upgrading to the better anchored hammerheads. I am not as comfortable initiating quick do or die turns in tight/technical terrain on the longer skis, but they are far superior to cranking turns on wide open skiied out groomers. Hard to say if that's because the skiis are longer or if it's because the bindings aren;t centered in their sweetspot.

I custom cut a set of skins to the bobtails and never had any trouble in the backcountry.

If I still lived in CO and got 20+ days a season i would totally buy a fancy new pair with a sweet dustom designed inlay.
As an engineer, the "design" always made sense to me and I think they work great. I love the comments in the lift line and would love them even more if I didn;t have the plain topsheets. I hope the company doesn't dissapear when old scotty passes on, because I think the concept is legit.

Wrae Hill
Ski style: Telemark Ski Patroller
Favorite Skis: Scotty Bob Powder Storm
Favorite boots: Scott voodoo NTN
Pro/ Volunteer Ski Patrol

ScottyBob - Long term use Ski Patrolling in BC

Post by Wrae Hill » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi Tele Fans

These old Scotty Bob Powder Storm 175s are my go/to all around work ski. Although heavy (13.5lb/pair) with my NTN setup these planks are great working skis. At over 220lb minus my patrol gear, I’m amazed these skis still have camber after almost 10 years. The top sheet is beat up however the bases and edges are still great.
I really like the asymmetrical design and love to telecarve these on groomers... like on rails...

The wide shovel Creates great lift in crud/ mank and chowder. I patrol at a resort with >50% black runs (many double black) As a patroller we have to ski anything in any condition and I rely upon these tanks In “You fall you die” Situations.

Simply the best Telemark patrol ski I’ve even abused !

Wrae Hill
30+ yrs Patroller
CANSI telemark instructor
Interior, British Columbia , Canada
34383084-B38D-4B6A-92E5-DE547B5B6C58.jpeg
EF2E52B6-6A01-4756-A0E1-10AB1F679B18.jpeg
000A5EFD-CF04-421F-8793-00FF924FB142.jpeg