Built-in gaitors in ski pants. Do they work?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Fishnaked

Built-in gaitors in ski pants. Do they work?

Post by Fishnaked » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:18 pm

I have a pair of Patagonia Mixed Guide's pants with built-in gaitors. I have yet to wear these pants.

I look at the gaitors, wondering if they are effective enough to justify their extra weight. I'd like to cut them out... but not if they actually work. They don't fit snugly around my boots. Not even close. There is a loop on each side of each gaitor though where one could run a cord through and under their boot.

If they work, in what conditions are they suited for? Doubtful I'll encounter snow that my skis will sink much more than 6" or so.

LooseHeel

Re: Built-in gaitors in ski pants. Do they work?

Post by LooseHeel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:42 pm

I say cut them out. If not convinced, leave enough material on the pants to attach them again...sew, zips, velcro.
Less weight is good. Easier to get at the buckles.
My pants were Ibex schoeller poly/wool blend, so a bit thick, heavy material. Cutting the gaiters made quite a difference.
Snow getting in doesn't seem to be a problem, or I don't notice. Knee high socks probably help .

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:53 pm

I think they work- but I still wear a gaiter over my ski pants-boots if I am skiing below tree line. An over gaiter protects your pants and boots from wear. An inner gaiter helps keep cold and snow out of the top of your boots.
Last edited by lilcliffy on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks, Looseheel. Good idea about leaving enough material to reattach if wanted.

Lilcliffy - Thanks. I understand that they are supposed to help but in looking at them, I don't see how they would actually work. Both the gaitor and bottom of the pant are to be worn on the outside of the boot, correct? In that case, one simply has an extra pant leg... in my eye. I could see if the gaitor fit snugly around my boots, and they were attached to the boot so they didn't ride up, but that is not the case with my set-up. Otherwise, how are they going to keep snow and cold out any differently than not having them at all?

Not trying to be argumentative or a pain but rather trying to understand how they work so I can decide if they'll work for my particular needs or not.

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Ok, I think I understand now... maybe. If the gaitor is attached to the boot, when your foot sinks in the snow, that part of the pant is not pushed up by the snow which would otherwise let snow inside the boot. If it isn't attached, the gaitor would make little difference. Sound about right? If so, I then have to wonder why not just have the pant leg attached to the boot in the same way? Seems redundant otherwise which would just be extra stuff to pay for and lug around. Of course, I still may be missing something here. I'm sure my wife would agree to that!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:33 am

For most skiing you will never miss them but I have used them when I needed to ventilate. I could roll up the outer pant above my boot and the gaiter had ventilating mesh that let heat out and kept snow from getting in. I'd leave it like that for the up and down and never had a strap under my boot and rarely had a problem. One crash could change that and you could get snow up your leg and down your boot, but that only helps cool your feet more. If you really needed to stay dry, like on a multi day trip, you might want to think about leaving them on.

Fishnaked

Post by Fishnaked » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:44 am

lowangle al wrote:For most skiing you will never miss them but I have used them when I needed to ventilate. I could roll up the outer pant above my boot and the gaiter had ventilating mesh that let heat out and kept snow from getting in. I'd leave it like that for the up and down and never had a strap under my boot and rarely had a problem. One crash could change that and you could get snow up your leg and down your boot, but that only helps cool your feet more. If you really needed to stay dry, like on a multi day trip, you might want to think about leaving them on.
Makes sense. Thanks!