How it's done!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

How it's done!

Post by Harris » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 am

This is how it's done! The Japanese know where it is at.

telemarkmark

Re: How it's done!

Post by telemarkmark » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:56 am

Makes you wonder if the increased range of leg bend tele skiing is better in moguls?

Harris

Post by Harris » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:22 pm

telemarkmark wrote:Makes you wonder if the increased range of leg bend tele skiing is better in moguls?
In the bumps it is definitely better to get low when transitioning at the compression. The way you check speed when committing to a fast rut line is purely through bump absorption and redirecting the skis, rather than actually edging or turning the skis. The rut slows you down. It's the same on alpine, but with alpine you pull the knees up whereas with tele you pull them up but also get absorption compressing into the drop knee. Also notice how tight he keeps his stance/shuffle. But where this guy does a really exceptional job is how he keeps his back and shoulders proud to get really good pole plants; instead of stabbing he is picking. Either he picked it up from watching competitive alpine mogul skiers or he himself was or is a competitive alpine mogul skier. Probably the latter. It is a hard skill to learn. A lot of recreational alpine bump skiers have to unlearn their pole plants in order to learn the proper competition technique. A lot of tele bumpers jam their plants and drop the the non-plant arm, creating a lot of arm movement. You gotta keep them both fists right in front.

Harris

Post by Harris » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Same rules apply to tele bumps...

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:48 am

Harris wrote: A lot of tele bumpers jam their plants and drop the the non-plant arm, creating a lot of arm movement. You gotta keep them both fists right in front.
DON"T DROP YOUR LUNCH TRAY!

EvanTrem
Ski style: XCD, Telemark, Backcountry
Favorite Skis: K2 Work Stinx w/ 22 Designs Outlaw X, Madshus Annum w/ Voile 3 Pin
Favorite boots: TX Comp, Alico Ski March

Post by EvanTrem » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Man, every time I start to think that I am good at tele I try and ski bumps like this and I realize I'm actually shit. I think growing up in the Pacific Northwest has made me soft compared to the New who ski ice and bumps all year :lol:

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:15 pm

EvanTrem wrote:Man, every time I start to think that I am good at tele I try and ski bumps like this and I realize I'm actually shit. I think growing up in the Pacific Northwest has made me soft compared to the New who ski ice and bumps all year :lol:
I've been a PNW skier for 2 going on 3 seasons now, and I hear what you're saying. We don't get decent bumps up here. Runs get bumpy, in a chaos kinda way, but rarely do we see zipper lines. Snows too much/too many snowboarders. Not a bad problem though. What the PNW lacks in bumps it makes up for in soft steeps.

I grew up in Steamboat. That place had awesome zipper line runs all over the mountain; it is a bump skiers paradise, but with little else besides cruising and occasional deep champaign. If you have a good, consistent rut line and soft snow, like these guys in these vids have, bumping fast is pretty easy/fun. I skied a real bump run out at one of the bigger Maine areas last year and had my ass handed to me. The PNW has ruined me, bumping that is.

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Woodserson wrote: DON"T DROP YOUR LUNCH TRAY!
Sounds easy enough, but... Right? I tend to drop my non-pole plant fist. At least I never had to undo a double pole plant habit, which when routine makes bumping and quick turns look uuuuuugly. Folks who pick that up really seem to struggle undoing it.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:30 pm

The "carry your lunch tray" technique was probably the single most important lesson when I really learned to ski bumps well (alpine). It carries over to other type of skiing too. When that hand gets behind your hip, you're done.

I can't tele bumps at all so I'm not going to even being to pretend I know what I'm talking about, but I know a lunch tray carry when I see one.