Boot-Binding Compatibility

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Boot-Binding Compatibility

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 pm

JGF wrote:So, after asking around a bit.., it seems that many (but not all) think that the Hardwire binding is a bit of overkill for the S-bound 98.., irrespective of what boot is used.., and that the 3-pin cable is a more appropriate binding for this ski.

I haven't mounted anything yet, and am thinking of just getting the 3-pin cable - it's lighter and is almost certainly a better fit for the boot i have.

Does that sound reasonable?

thanks for all the help
That sounds reasonable to me.

JGF

Post by JGF » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:43 pm

lowangle al wrote:
JGF wrote:So, after asking around a bit.., it seems that many (but not all) think that the Hardwire binding is a bit of overkill for the S-bound 98.., irrespective of what boot is used.., and that the 3-pin cable is a more appropriate binding for this ski.

I haven't mounted anything yet, and am thinking of just getting the 3-pin cable - it's lighter and is almost certainly a better fit for the boot i have.

Does that sound reasonable?

thanks for all the help
That sounds reasonable to me.
Al - if it's not too much to ask.., what do you think about the specific issue of whether the Hardwire is a bit too much for the ski?

i'm sure that like everything - it depends.., but would you view the S-Bound 98 and the hardwire as a natural pairing? is the S-bound 98 and the cable binding a _more _ natural pairing?

i just want to have some confidence that i'm doing the right thing before i drill holes in my new skis...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 pm

I find the hardwire pairs nicely with my T-4. I think it has a nice amount of pressure to flex my T-4's. I now have two pair of skis mounted with 3-pin cable bindings. Sooner or later I will ski the T-4's with one of those 3-pin cable skis, but for now I have not skied the T-4 with a 3-pin cable, I am not sure if I would like it or not. I can also say that I ski my Alico Ski March boots with S-112 skis and 3pin Hardwires. The Ski March is a stiff leather boot. It is shorter from the pins to where the heel throw latches than the T-4. When I ski with the leather boot I do not adjust the springs from the T-4 position and it skis nicely.
Now I just bought a new ski that is 97mm at the shovel, but it is much narrower at the waist then a S-98, my ski is only 62 mm at the waist. I bought the ski to tour for turns in rolling terrain, and to ski at Michigan resorts in my leather boots. For that ski I decided on a 3-pin cable, kind of a no brainer for the leather. If I was planning on skiing a plastic boot, I probably would have would have bought a different ski. For plastic boots I like the 3 pin Hardwire. The springs pressure my T-4 nicely.
That being said, there are a few guys here that are skiing some pretty fat skis, like Vectors, Koms, and (a little skinner) Objectives, with the Burnt Mtn. Spike 3- pin binding. They are good skiers that do not miss the spring pressure to help them flex T-4 boots. The Spike 3-pin has no cable at all. I have tried to explain the mechanics of why I prefer a Hardwire with a T-4. Al is a very good skier whom offered his advise. I also offered what some other good skiers are using. Hopefully we have offered enough information, that with an honest evaluation of your skiing style you can make the decision that will be best for you.
Best of luck with your decision

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 am

Well like you said the 3pc is a more natural fit with your boots and ski. With that light boot I don't think you will get any benefits from the HW. Other than the weight issue I don't think there will be any negative effects of using the HW with that ski.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello, re-read the entire thread. That Alpina 75 boot seems to be in the too light class for a Hardwire binding. I would not consider a Hardwire with that boot. Mount that ski up and enjoy winter, it ends too quickly!

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Mount them! Worst case scenario: you detach the cables/cartridges and go toe-piece only. All the options are good. For descents, the hardwires with cables/cartridges activated are solid. I wouldn't use that system on soft leathers though. I just skied my 98's, Hardwires, and Excursions on a 2-night Broome Hut trip on Berthoud Pass. Gorgeous spot, but snow's a little thin! That boot, ski, binding system is good for that kind of skiing, though most others are either using AT, splitboards, or snowshoeing the trails to death.