The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Post by lowangle al » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:18 pm

lilcliffy wrote:It has taken me some time but I have figured out a few things...

Fischer and Karhu/Madahus build alot of "camber" into their Nordic backcountry skis. But- here's the thing- all of that camber does not add up to much when their skis are completely unstable both longitudinally and torsionally.

Some initial notes:
- the E99 is much more cambered than the Gamme 54- but, the Gamme is more stable and faster...
- the Eon and E109 are more cambered than the Ingstad and the Combat Nato- but, the Ingstad and Combat Nato are both more stable and faster!!! And the magic Ingstad is just as dreamy as the E109!
- the Falketind 62 and the Storetind make skis like the XCD 10th Mtn/Epoch; XD Guide/Annum; S-Bound 98/112 look like ridiculous wet noodles...
When you think that the 10th mtn, guide, s-bound 98 were the best of the lot for turns the rest of the xcd stuff was pretty pathetic. That's why I used to say the quality of xcd gear was not conducive to making turns and would always recommend putting tele bindings on an alpine ski. I'm glad there are better choices now, I just wish I could find some Asnes skis.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am

Amundsen, coming Feb 2019:

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:54 am

Specially designed Åsnes skis Extravaganza with The Royal Norwegian Crown Prince...
Lillehammer, Norway 1994. XCD at its best!

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm

XCD ballet, je dirais même plus...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Tried to watch that video- had to open it in YouTube- didn't see any skiers...
Lots of horses and sleighs, fiddles and dancers...

Those Norwegian Fjords and Swedish Ardennes horses- exactly the horses I want on my farm.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Out for my first good tur on my new 210cm Asnes Gamme 54.

I'm in love all over again.

We had an ice storm last week, followed by extremely cold weather (-23C here this morning in the hills!). There is at least 2 feet of rock solid, consolidated frozen base with dustings of flurries sprinkled on top.

It was -10C when I went out this evening.

These are conditions that in the past I would have been told require klister but I am getting excellent grip and glide with a Swix Polar base and Swix Green kick wax!!

First impressions of my Gamme 54:
- full-length supportive flex (much more supportive than my 210cm E99 Tour Xtralite).
- stiff, low profile double-cambered ski (lower profile camber than my E99).
- much less Nordic rocker than my 205cm Ingstad- as such they have a much longer glide surface on consolidated snow.
- less Nordic rocker than my E99- thus longer glide surface
- the longer glide surface makes them every bit as fast as the E99- despite the E99 having more camber...
- the longer glide surface makes the Gamme 54 feel more stable and supportive than the E99...
- there is enough Nordic rocker on the Gamme 54 to allow pretty impressive turn initiation for such a long stiff ski
- the lower profile camber makes them easier to evenly pressure in a telemark- compared to the E99
- they ski perfectly straight in pure XC mode- even on a wide open consolidated base

They are less cambered than I thought they would be...BUT- they are still very fast...They are perfect for lightening tours in hilly terrain! They have a remarkably full-length stable flex, and pretty decent, raised tips- I am very interested to see how they perform in deep snow...This may well prove to be Asnes' most versatile distance-oriented backcountry ski...

Full review to come!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:41 pm

I am pleased that your enjoyed your ski. I also believe these skis will handle soft snow well too. I was very nervous when I first handled the FT 62, and I really like them, but I am still cautious to recommend them. I have not been on the Gamme, but am very confident it is everything I hope it will be. Thank you my friend for your recommendation.
I await not very patiently, my first lightning tour

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Johnny wrote:Specially designed Åsnes skis Extravaganza with The Royal Norwegian Crown Prince...
Lillehammer, Norway 1994. XCD at its best!

Johnny,
Brother, thank you for posting. The opening ceremony of the Lillehammer Olympic is why I Telemark. Maybe why I ski. I was very interested in Telemark before I turned on the TV that night. Watching what I still consider that greatest televised celebration of winter, my path was set to ski with my heels free. My life turned down a new path, a good path, that has brought joy, exhilaration, but also peace.
I don't know if I would even ski at this time of my life had I not taken the Nordic path
I am also not sure if your post was where YouTube directed me. It matters not, where the ripples in the fabric of life we make crash upon the shore we control not. However when we act in love and peace, seeds we have no knowledge of sowing bloom beauties we may never see, however do not doubt they leave our world a better place.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:07 am

Bob, really? Wow... that is pretty cool!
I have to say that I would probably have dropped alpine skiing if I saw that ceremony back in 1994...

That telemark segment of the Norwegian in action in the opening ceremony is probably the most beautiful tele scene ever captured on video...
fisheater wrote:It matters not, where the ripples in the fabric of life we make crash upon the shore we control not. However when we act in love and peace, seeds we have no knowledge of sowing bloom beauties we may never see, however do not doubt they leave our world a better place.
I know exactly what you mean. It's the only thing that still keeps me alive...

You can watch the whole thing here: (Ski segment at 13min)
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/olympiske-leker ... /avspiller

Gareth, I can't wait for the full review...! Keeping the Gammes in their original wrap was very hard...! But I was strong enough to resist! ;)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:15 am

fisheater wrote:
Johnny,
Brother, thank you for posting. The opening ceremony of the Lillehammer Olympic is why I Telemark. Maybe why I ski. I was very interested in Telemark before I turned on the TV that night. Watching what I still consider that greatest televised celebration of winter, my path was set to ski with my heels free. My life turned down a new path, a good path, that has brought joy, exhilaration, but also peace.
I don't know if I would even ski at this time of my life had I not taken the Nordic path
I am also not sure if your post was where YouTube directed me. It matters not, where the ripples in the fabric of life we make crash upon the shore we control not. However when we act in love and peace, seeds we have no knowledge of sowing bloom beauties we may never see, however do not doubt they leave our world a better place.
This is one of the best posts I have ever read on this forum. I read it last night and had to sleep on it.

I extend my hand to you, Fish, 600 miles away but right next to you on the gliding sliding snow of our winter dreams.