The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:18 am

fisheater wrote:Crister,
I have been attempting to explain how the wax pocket works on the FT 62 for quite some time. I think you did a good job explaining how it works. I enjoy my FT 62 very much, I have been skiing it for two seasons. I mounted mine 3-pin cable and enjoy the combination. I am another member that appreciates that Asnes has had you engage directly with us. Enjoy the warm season, and know we would also enjoy hearing about summer in Norway.
Thanks!

I hope it was informative.

Good to hear that you enjoy the FT62. It is somwhat of a favourite here on the westcoast of Norway! Mostly mounted like yours, with a 3-pin cable binding or with Rottefella Riva 3 bindings for those lucky enough to have those.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome here on on the TT-forum. I really like to po in here every now and then to read your reviews and feedback. It is really important for us to know how our skis are welcomed in the market, and you guys do a really good job with objective and constructive critique. Thanks for that!

We are already waiting for winter and plan on doing som glacier-summer skiing, we have no time for summer! Haha!
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Sun May 26, 2019 5:20 pm

from my wayback machine:
ASNES SKI ADVERTISEMENT 1978.jpg
feb/mar '78 Wilderness Camping
(Confession: I went with Epoke skis:-)
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue May 28, 2019 7:17 am

Those T53's were a nice ski, along the lines of the Epoke 1000. I went with Epoke's myself, but wouldn't hesitate to ski the Asnes.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri May 31, 2019 7:55 am

Hello,
Long time reader, first time poster, new Åsnes user.
I live in Trondheim, Norway, since a few years ago. I broke my 2.5 year old Fischer E109 Crown Extralite this Easter and decided to get Åsnes Nansen as a replacement. I was really happy with the Fischers. Fischer offered a warranty replacement, but no waxless skis were available in desireable lengths at the Fischer supplier or at the shop. To accomodate my needs in terms of ski length, the shop organised an Åsnes trade in for the broken Fischers. All in all, very good customer service both from Fischer and from the shop, so thumbs up to them.

Before settling on the standard Nansen BC, 205cm, I spent quite some time looking for waxless Åsnes skis but could not find any. Most Norwegians learn to wax skis as teenagers, and when one asks for waxless skis here, often the shop people are skeptical.
From my perspective as a (now former?) user, waxless is a very good compromise solution - relatively good glide on the flats, almost always acceptable grip also in wet snow, transition from up to down in rolling terrain without any further thoughts. The largest downside is the noise when gliding on hard packed snow.
This easter in Trollheimen we ran into a large group from Vermont who were all on waxless skis (mostly Madshus Eons and Epochs, one brave soul with Madshus Annum and Scarpa T4 for the 25km day trips), but I'd say 95% of Norwegian BC skiers are on waxable skis with short skins.

My girlfriend would need a new pair to replace her aging Madshus Glittertind MGV+ (probably Åsnes Nansen or Cecilie would be ideal). She does not want to wax. I have not seen any waxless Åsnes skis in shops or online - with the exception of the Mountain Race 48 Skin, which does not suit our requirements regarding width etc.

Now questions for the Åsnes people:
1) Does Åsnes actually sell their waxless skis in Norway? Or is the market too small due to "traditional" views on waxless skis?

2) What are the a differences between:
Åsnes Nansen product codes 540321: https://www.asnes.com/produkt/nansen/
Åsnes Nansen BC product codes 542006: https://www.asnes.com/produkt/nansen-bc/
The former is the slightly older model - more pronounced skin attachment and the list weight appears to be higher; is there anything else?

Thanks

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:05 pm

Did you have a look at this thread? https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2072

I am quite sure you could find valuable information.

Martin

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:13 am

Hi,
Yes, thanks, I've been following that post for a while, and it has convinced me that a pair of Nansen Waxless is the best solution for my better half, but it does not say anything about availability in Norway from a Norwegian perspective.
The Åsnes Nansen skis are in any case beautifully crafted and feel pretty solid. I wanted to take them for a tour 10 days ago, and compare the skins vs fischer waxless, but the snowy parts of the mountains were not accessible for day trips from Trondheim anymore (closed dirtroads because of the Rasputitsa).

As Johnny points out, most Norwegians learn how to ski in daycare centers, and pick up waxing pretty early. There are however, also in Norway snow conditions which are not amenable to waxing, particularly when snow is wet IE in the spring, when Norwegian tradition calls for extended hut to hut ski tours.
I have two pairs of cross country skis for groomed trails: one waxable when the temperature is clearly below 0, and one pair with skin inserts which work almost as good in cold snow, but require no tinkering when the snow is variable or warm. Every time I tried waxing near 0 conditions I had to rewax after a few km or spent most of the strength on my arms.
With Fjellski / BC skiing, taking two pairs of skis on a trip is not possible, snow conditions change during the day depending on the side of the mountain or the depth of the valley, etc.
A common solution seems to be to wax the ski with Swix V40 (for relatively cold snow conditions) and when grip fails, stick on a skin over the wax. Apparently, the relatively hard V40 wax does not degrade the skin glue unacceptably fast, and this reduces the tinkering while on the trail.

What I have read here and there is that the Mohair skins glide pretty well, particularly after impregnating (with molten glider wax at lowish temperature). I would be surprised if they glide as well as waxless scales, but I will find out next season.

I also have read on Norwegian forums, that the best gliding skins by a wide margin, ethics aside, are real seal skins (http://www.skifeller.no/) and some folks use old metal Åsnes short skin clips to mount them. The caveat (apart from the ethics side) is that the glue tends to lose grip quickly and they need to be reglued frequently.

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Maximum glide that I have experienced with waxed mohair skins on a level packed trail is about 30 cm.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Roelant wrote:What I have read here and there is that the Mohair skins glide pretty well, particularly after impregnating (with molten glider wax at lowish temperature). I would be surprised if they glide as well as waxless scales, but I will find out next season.
Mohair glides great over many types of snow but can be TERRIBLE on others such as frozen thawed snow. In those circumstances only, I would choose scales over mohair. Otherwize mohair (skins) rules, but especially because you can remove them and use grip wax over a smooth base. Man it it great to ski a smooth waxed base.

Hope there are not too many bugs your way this spring!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Åsnes1922
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:17 am

1EyedJack wrote:from my wayback machine:
ASNES SKI ADVERTISEMENT 1978.jpg
feb/mar '78 Wilderness Camping
(Confession: I went with Epoke skis:-)
This is awsome! Thanks for sharing.
After our old factory burnt down to the ground back in the days, we have lost a lot of old ads and pictures. If any of you happen to discover anything like this, please give me a heads up. You can even post them on a message to us on Facebook or email them directly to customer service "Refrence: Crister - Old Åsnes material".

Thanks for sharing! Sharing is caring!

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

Åsnes1922

Post by Åsnes1922 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:22 am

Roelant wrote:Hello,
Long time reader, first time poster, new Åsnes user.
I live in Trondheim, Norway, since a few years ago. I broke my 2.5 year old Fischer E109 Crown Extralite this Easter and decided to get Åsnes Nansen as a replacement. I was really happy with the Fischers. Fischer offered a warranty replacement, but no waxless skis were available in desireable lengths at the Fischer supplier or at the shop. To accomodate my needs in terms of ski length, the shop organised an Åsnes trade in for the broken Fischers. All in all, very good customer service both from Fischer and from the shop, so thumbs up to them.

Before settling on the standard Nansen BC, 205cm, I spent quite some time looking for waxless Åsnes skis but could not find any. Most Norwegians learn to wax skis as teenagers, and when one asks for waxless skis here, often the shop people are skeptical.
From my perspective as a (now former?) user, waxless is a very good compromise solution - relatively good glide on the flats, almost always acceptable grip also in wet snow, transition from up to down in rolling terrain without any further thoughts. The largest downside is the noise when gliding on hard packed snow.
This easter in Trollheimen we ran into a large group from Vermont who were all on waxless skis (mostly Madshus Eons and Epochs, one brave soul with Madshus Annum and Scarpa T4 for the 25km day trips), but I'd say 95% of Norwegian BC skiers are on waxable skis with short skins.

My girlfriend would need a new pair to replace her aging Madshus Glittertind MGV+ (probably Åsnes Nansen or Cecilie would be ideal). She does not want to wax. I have not seen any waxless Åsnes skis in shops or online - with the exception of the Mountain Race 48 Skin, which does not suit our requirements regarding width etc.

Now questions for the Åsnes people:
1) Does Åsnes actually sell their waxless skis in Norway? Or is the market too small due to "traditional" views on waxless skis?

2) What are the a differences between:
Åsnes Nansen product codes 540321: https://www.asnes.com/produkt/nansen/
Åsnes Nansen BC product codes 542006: https://www.asnes.com/produkt/nansen-bc/
The former is the slightly older model - more pronounced skin attachment and the list weight appears to be higher; is there anything else?

Thanks
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

To be short and answer you: yes, we sell waxless skis in Norway. Message Åsnes on Facebook and I promise to help you with anything you need and point you to the right shop. If you live in Trondheim, go visit Skandinavisk Høyfjellsutstyr Trondheim.

Adress:
Olav Tryggvasons gt. 3
7011 Trondheim

73 53 31 00
trondheim@shu.no
www.shut.no

The guys working there are great, and they will help you with anything. They are also ski experts, and probably one of the best ski shops in Norway.

Åsnes

Active Brands AS