The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:54 am

John_XCD wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:52 pm
Åsnes1922 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:51 am
I absolutely love the Kongsvold ski! I have dogs, so in my recreational time, this is a ski I use very much. Both the Breidablikk (steel-less Ingstad) and the Kongsold are the two most used skis in my Nordic BC quiver because I have a dog.
Thoughts on XPLORE on a more XC oriented ski such as breidablikk?
We've tested the Xplore on Breidablikik and Ingstad too, and it makes a lot of sense. Aleksander Gamme, of course, will be using it on the Gamme 54 BC too. It's a bit wide for the narrow skis, but if you want better control going downhill it makes sense to mount it for example the Gamme, Nansens/Cecilie, and the Ingstad/Tonje.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Åsnes1922
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:12 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:21 pm
WOW.
The photo on the cover of the 2021 Asnes Catalogue is breath-taking!

Thank you for all of the great information Crister!

The Sverdrup ski is very interesting-
The elusive "50/50" xc/d- XC ski!
Many have tried to get this right-
The Fischer Rebound/Atomic Rainier-
The Fischer E-109 Xtralite-
(to name a couple of attempts).

The updated Rabb 68. Your description Crister reminds me of my Storetind Carbon, but it sounds like the Rabb is less cambered and perhaps easier to pressure than the Storetind...

@@Åsnes1922 I am wondering if you could give us your perspective on the Rabb 68 vs Nosi 76? Why choose one over the other?

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!
I hope you guys enjoy the discussions and information I provide. I try to do my best and occasionally write here one the forum.

Rabb 68 v.s Nosi 76:

The Nosi 76 is basically a spring-type alpine touring ski. It's similar to many of the lighter "rando-race" category AT skis but slightly heavier and more responsive than the sub-1000g carbon race skis. It's a full-on AT ski, so if you're leaning towards a tech setup with light alpine touring bindings and a light, semi-stiff AT boot it's a really nice ski.

I believe it will be great with the Xplore binding as well, but it has 4-5mm camber and no real "pocket" or focus on XC performance. It's tuned to go downhill, like most Alpine Touring skis.

It's used quite a lot for mountaineering, by alpinists needing a light tool for approaches and mountaineering and by those wanting a really lightweight package for spring-skiing and those long days touring for turns/steep skiing.

The Nosi 76 skis surprisingly well, so it also handles hardpack really well. But because of the 76mm waist, it's not really a ski for the deeper days - as you can imagine. Thus, why I would call it a spring-skiing ski.

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:28 pm

@@Åsnes1922
What do you think about the early-tip rise, planing, and flotation between the Rabb 68 vs the Nosi 76?
I know that the Nosi is wider underfoot- but neither of them are super wide and width isn't the only dimension that determines how a ski performs in deep soft snow...
For example- the Madshus Annum is 78mm underfoot, but I am not convinced that is better in deep soft snow than my Storetind Carbon which is 68mm underfoot...In fact, my experience is that the Storetind is more stable in deep soft snow than the Annum- and it certainly is a better carving ski than the round, soft Annum...
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Åsnes1922

Post by Åsnes1922 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:46 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:28 pm
@@Åsnes1922
What do you think about the early-tip rise, planing, and flotation between the Rabb 68 vs the Nosi 76?
I know that the Nosi is wider underfoot- but neither of them are super wide and width isn't the only dimension that determines how a ski performs in deep soft snow...
For example- the Madshus Annum is 78mm underfoot, but I am not convinced that is better in deep soft snow than my Storetind Carbon which is 68mm underfoot...In fact, my experience is that the Storetind is more stable in deep soft snow than the Annum- and it certainly is a better carving ski than the round, soft Annum...
Gareth
Hi!

Of course, soft snow/deep snow performance is determined by a number of factors. But typically there's a strong correlation between the width, intended use, and all the other factors - like technology, sidecut, tapering and rise, rocker, and the general shape of the ski.

What you describe with the Storetind, is mainly related to the stiffness and distribution of material and stiffness in the ski in general. In almost all cases, a stiffer ski will carve and perform better on edge. Of course, the shape and sidecut also play a role, but the stiffness has very much to do with the stability and edge hold in a ski. A ski with too soft tips or less torsional rigidity (softer, and less torsional stiffness) will never carve really good - as the edge can't hold and the tip and tail will twist with momentum (in a turn).

The distribution of material and stiffness also play a role in how the ski carries weight and how the ski acts in various snow conditions. A softer ski, in general, is easier to handle and often perceived as better in deep snow. But a better skier or former racer would probably choose a stiffer ski either way, as that kind of skier skis with good technique and more power than an intermediate or beginner skier. As an example.

Typically, Nordic BC skis are relatively stiff. But in most cases, we add softer tips and tails, most likely with Taper and Nordic (in some cases, also Early Rise and higher curves) to make them more forgiving, playful, and easier to handle in various conditions - especially in soft snow.

A really stiff and narrow ski, like the Amundsen, carries weight really well and will keep you on top of the snow for the most part. But it will feel difficult to ski, turn and handle in deeper snow. The stiff and directional tips and tails will dive more into the snow, than for example the tips and tails of the Ingstad ski. So yeah, the width of the ski is not the only factor.

There are other factors too, of course. But I won't go too deep into that....

To answer your question:

Nosi 76 is stiffer, built like a full-on AT ski. So it is more stable, stiffer, and has more of a typical alpine ski character in the construction. Meaning, it will ski way better on hard snowpack. But this stiffness also carries weight better in deeper snow, and you can ski it harder and faster with more response. As many good skiers know, with enough speed you can float with almost any ski (like with waterskis), that's basic physics. The speed keeps you floating, and more stable and responsive skis invite more speed.

The Nosi 76 also has a bigger overall platform to stand on, than the Rabb 68. So the total of cm2 that provides support in deep snow, in combination with a stiffer ski, will for sure keep you more on top of the snowpack.

Other than that, the relative tip rise, Rocker, and otherwise shape-related aspects of both skis are somewhat similar.

The Rabb 68, on the other hand, is softer in the tip and tail, and it has a more relative sidecut to the width of your look at the shape of the ski. This basically means you get a more forgiving, easier to turn, and slightly more playful ski in the Rabb 68 compared to the Nosi 76. There is not a lot of difference in the overall cm2 of a platform to stand on between the Rabb 68 and Nosi 76 in the same length.

If you were to choose between them, it comes more down you your personal preference, what you want in a powder ski, and how you ski your skis. Some prefer really soft skis for powder, and some (like me) prefer a slightly stiffer and more responsive ski, even in powder snow. Both skis ski well in powder for being relatively narrow skis, but I'm pretty sure most skiers would like the Rabb 68 better than the Nosi 76 for just powder snow, as it is more playful and forgiving. To ski the Nosi 76 in deep snow, you are dependent on speed, powder, and better skiing-technique.

The Rabb 68 ski is just softer and easier to ski, with those advantages and disadvantages this also translates to.

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:21 pm

First impressions of the Otto Sverdrup BC: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... fc7cfc0d28
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2019-2020!)

Post by mca80 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:18 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:10 am

That is good news for you there. And the more skis you bug the shops about, the more likely it is that we get more shops and more skis shipped out to the U.S and Canada!

You guys rock!
@Åsnes1922

I am going to bug a local place to carry your skis, the Minocqua Winter Park in Wisconsin, U.S. Guy there already said they were considering it because no one makes these kinds of skis in this quality except Asnes.

I am new to bc xc and got a pair of Nansens to learn on and love them, but I do worry about hitting the dog so think my next pair will be Finnmarks or Breidablikks. Unless, are there any other edgeless on the agenda for the future or just sticking with the three current models?