The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:23 pm

I am pulling that you get snow soon, Fish.

A more comprehensive but short reply on the 45mm X skin here

Buda

Post by Buda » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:20 am

A lot of great info in these threads. Since 2006 I've been skiing mostly on 200 cm long Madshus Glittertinds but I want to try something new. Hard to know which skis without trying but after a lot of reading here I think that if I only get one pair it would be the Åsnes Ingstad. The Nansen and Falketind 62 also look very interesting. Unfortunately it looks like these skis will be hard to get at a reasonable price for this winter in Canada. Boots will be Alico Teletours that I just got the other day. Cheers

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:29 am

Buda wrote: in Canada. Boots will be Alico Teletours that I just got the other day. Cheers
Did you just buy a pair of used Alico Teletours size 10 from some guy in the greater Gatineau area? That would be pretty funny cause i'm the previous! owner! I now own a pair of teletours size 9 and love them. Go for the Insgtads, I am sure you will love them!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Buda

Post by Buda » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Yes, in Gatineau but they are size 9. Found them on kijiji. Pretty lucky to find some locally that fit me perfectly!

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:04 am

Buda wrote:Yes, in Gatineau but they are size 9. Found them on kijiji. Pretty lucky to find some locally that fit me perfectly!
Yeah those are them! I was confused because those 9s actually felt like sz 10 to me! Happy they are in good hands!! Salut!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Buda

Post by Buda » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:10 pm

I see that you are from Rimouski and that's where the seller said he bought them from. They were too big for him as well. Strange that two size 9s from the same model would be different. I look forward to trying them ... it look like you did a good job breaking them in. :-)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Buda wrote:I see that you are from Rimouski and that's where the seller said he bought them from. They were too big for him as well. Strange that two size 9s from the same model would be different. I look forward to trying them ... it look like you did a good job breaking them in. :-)
I actually moved on to a size 8 and stretched them out (wide). Those 9s you have, I did not break them in, I only wore then twice. I had originally bought them from someone in the states on eBay! enjoy!!!!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Some notes on sidecut profile and effective edge on a few of Asnes' rockered touring skis.

205cm Ingstad BC:
- sidecut profile: 84-62-74mm
- effective sidecut: 76-62-74mm

188cm Storetind Carbon:
- sidecut profile: 103-68-93mm
- effective sidecut: 92-68-93mm
- with pins on BP my BOF is precisely on the narrowest point of sidecut on this ski- which is also the center of running surface!

188cm Falketind 62:
- sidecut profile: 97-62-86mm
- effective sidecut: 85-62-76mm

I shall check where my BOF is on the Ingstad and the FT62- they are both mounted at BP.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:21 pm

I am in the process of writing a review of the Gamme 54 BC.
I have yet to really test the Falketind 62. We have loads of snow and stable conditions coming- starting tomorrow- I plan on putting the FT62 through its paces shortly!
If I had to pick just one ski at this point in my life- backcountry skiing from my backdoor, at every possible moment that I can get away- in rolling to very hilly terrain- with a typical abundance of re-charged fresh snow- punctuated (increasingly) with wild temperature extremes and icy snow- my pick would be:

210cm Asnes Combat Nato.

I am very thankful to have all the rest of them in my quiver- but if I had to have one it would be the Combat Nato.

If the snow was more consistently consolidated/hard it would be the Gamme 54 BC.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Buda

Post by Buda » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:01 am

You picked two :-)
The Nansen BC seems to falls right in between the Combat Nato and the Gamme 54 BC.