The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote: At Åsnes we have noticed that there is great interest for our skis in you community. Beacause of that, I decided to join the forum just to follow the discussions, pick up on some feedback and be available for questions if that should be of interest.
Welcome Crister!
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read our posts, reports and conversations.
You being part of the conversation is very helpful.
I read your recent technical posts on the Asnes site- excellence. I did notice a few minor typos in the written text.

On another note- on the Rabb 68 page of the Asnes site, I notice that the Rabb 68 is listed as having a 58mm waist in the specifications section. Is this an error?

I am thrilled with the Asnes skis I have!

Wishing you some most excellent late winter skiing from the snow-buried hills of New Brunswick, Canada!
Gareth
Snow Glade Farm
Stanley
New Brunswick
Canada
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:38 am

Cannatonic wrote:Crister, thank you for all the information on skins, it's very helpful! The English writing looks excellent to me, I did find one small typo (mistake) in the first sentence...."no" should be "on"

>>The short climbing skins should in general stay with you no the adventure you embark on with BC skis.
Hi, thanks. This should be fixed now. I'm really happy to see that you guys have actually read the text to the extent where you find the small typos. That must be a good sign, right!? I used to live in Canada, so my English is fairly fluent, but of course, there will always be the occasional typo and bad wording. I'm happy to get all the feedback in the world on this - it's just good for me AND for you.
Cannatonic wrote:One question - you recommend using "hard wax" on the skins - do you apply the wax with heat (a hot iron) or do you just rub the bar over the skin??
About that. We could probably elaborate on that.
Yes, you can do both. But it is most common to rub it in - with the hairs direction! I love the Pomoca Bicolor wax, with one blue side for cold snow and one red side for warmer conditions.
Especially on nylon skins, one should be careful with too much heat. The nylon has a melting point at around 200-260 degrees Celsius, and on skins that the start deforming and melting way before that.
Liquid wax could be an option too.

Cannatonic wrote:Hey Treefallin don't worry about turn radius on the Breidablikk - the NATO, Breidablikk and Ingstad are all very easy skis to turn for long or short radius. One of these reasons I like this profile is because it's very close to the standard slalom/race/recreational alpine ski sidecut used for decades up until 1995. It's a familiar feeling for my legs! Before that, all slalom skis were 85-65-75 - 20mm sidecut - for world cup slalom racing on down to banging moguls at the ski area. GS skis had a sidecut of 13mm, which is probably why I like the Gamme so much, it's got the same sidecut as the K2 GS race skis I used for so long - the old K2 810FO, 812, etc.

Phil Mahre, Ingemar Stenmark, Alberto Tomba, they won all their World Cup slaloms on 85-65-75 skis. And the Asnes skis all have softer tips and/or rockered tips to make turning even easier than it was for those guys.
That is so right! It's easy to get too hung up on the radius, but there are lots of other factors playing a role in how easy a ski is to turn and not. For example, a racing ski with all the sidecut in the world (slalom..) can turn on a dime in the slopes, but the stiffness and the lack of the right camber, taper, and rocker make them almost useless in powder..

Again! Thanks for the warm welcome and all the support guys!

Crister @ Åsnes
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Åsnes1922
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:41 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Åsnes1922 wrote: At Åsnes we have noticed that there is great interest for our skis in you community. Beacause of that, I decided to join the forum just to follow the discussions, pick up on some feedback and be available for questions if that should be of interest.
Welcome Crister!
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read our posts, reports and conversations.
You being part of the conversation is very helpful.
I read your recent technical posts on the Asnes site- excellence. I did notice a few minor typos in the written text.

On another note- on the Rabb 68 page of the Asnes site, I notice that the Rabb 68 is listed as having a 58mm waist in the specifications section. Is this an error?

I am thrilled with the Asnes skis I have!

Wishing you some most excellent late winter skiing from the snow-buried hills of New Brunswick, Canada!
Gareth
Snow Glade Farm
Stanley
New Brunswick
Canada
Hi!

Thanks! I love the warm welcome we get!
We humbly appreciate that you our skis!

If you find typos, don't be afraid to let me know, and I'll fix them straight away.

About the Rabb, that was actually a typo. It's fixed now. Sorry about that. Keeping track of all the numbers, materials and specifications can be a headache sometimes...

Crister @ Åsnes

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote:Thanks! I love the warm welcome we get!
We humbly appreciate that you our skis!
And thank you for producing some of the finest skis on the planet! Its really fun to have you in our quirky-strange livingroom here at Ttalk.

I've got a question for you, not about skis but rather about the state of skiing in Norway today. I'm wondering if there is still a thriving subculture into pulling off nice descents and teleturns using basic nordic backcountry ski gear like fjellskis and leather boots (Varg, Crispi, etc.). I've seen old videos of Norwegians cranking it like there is no tomorrow but I am wondering if this is still the case today....or have the disciplines further split themselves, with basic fjallskiing with NNN-BC on one side and full-on Alpine touring (non-tele) on the other. Whats it like? What in for the future of oldskool telemark touring where it all began?

Har det bra Crister.

/Benjamin
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Åsnes1922

Post by Åsnes1922 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 am

bgregoire wrote: I've got a question for you, not about skis but rather about the state of skiing in Norway today. I'm wondering if there is still a thriving subculture into pulling off nice descents and teleturns using basic nordic backcountry ski gear like fjellskis and leather boots (Varg, Crispi, etc.). I've seen old videos of Norwegians cranking it like there is no tomorrow but I am wondering if this is still the case today....or have the disciplines further split themselves, with basic fjallskiing with NNN-BC on one side and full-on Alpine touring (non-tele) on the other. Whats it like? What in for the future of oldskool telemark touring where it all began?

Har det bra Crister.

/Benjamin
Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for the kind words, we really appreciate it!

THAT is a really interesting and cool question. It's actually a question I have been researching quite a bit myself, as I perform skiing in so many different ways myself.

In short, the younger generations tend to be involved mainly in alpine skiing and alpine touring, as "old-school" telemark as an art form (I believe it to be both a sport and an art form) has been dying for some years among the general public.

In the subcultures that span out from The Norwegian Trekking Association, and some Mountaineering associations- and clubs, there is still a lot of telemark - but mainly with plastic boots.
So to give you the short answer, yes, the disciplines have further split.

"Old-school" telemark is somewhat of a small genre of BC-skiing and probably most common amongst those who grow up with BC-skiing, cabin life, being in the mountains at the family cabin and stuff like that. Also, at Voss, where we have our offices, Telemark is big. I would say that the westcoast of Norway, some areas in the middle of Norway and some areas in the north is over-represented in terms telemark skiing.

I do believe that the disciplines one choose or rather tend to learn, is very connected to where in Norway you grow up and the culture surrounding you when you grow up.

As with the rest of the world, big city life and less outdoor activities for the benefit of "screen-time" are the new "normal" today. But of course, there are exceptions.

There is still a decent subculture among the most hardcore skiers and mountaineers, as most of them grow up with telemark skiing, mountaineering, cross country skiing, and alpine climbing. Especially in the climbing and mountaineering community, telemark is still favorized. Myself, I grew up with a dad and a granddad who were incredible skiers. I competed in telemark for some years, before I ended up competing in Super-G and Downhill. But my basic skiing technique comes from skiing with leather boots, long BC-skis and with Rottefella Riva and Chili bindings.

My dad and my girlfriend's dad would probably be some of the best skiers I know, and they both charge pretty hard with leather boots and Bc-skis (My father in law actually raced some young world cup skiers just last week - and kept up with them!).

What I believe to be the case, is that in some areas and in some subcultures, "old-school" telemark will live forever. From those communities I know, there is really just one option for longer trips, skiing with family and the typical Easter traditions where we ski around for a week or so in the mountains - and that is BC skis with 75mm bindings and leather boots. That will probably last for years to come, but mainly amongst those who grow up with skiing.

For everyone else, NNN BC bindings seem to be the easier and more simple solution for touring skis, BC-skis and for "mountain skis".
It is also a fact that less and fewer people grow up skiing, and that more and more people only do alpine skiing in resorts. That is probably the reason why a lot of them will choose alpine touring gear if they decide to travel backcountry. Even the military is doing less skiing than ever, it is basically just the special forces and the elite divisions that do a decent amount of skiing.

But have no fear, telemark is growing again. BC-skiing, skiing in general and being outdoors is getting more and more popular. This year we sold more BC-Skis than in a long time, so I would say there is a positive upbringing. But, as with everything else, there will be conjectures and fluctuations - meaning that for periods of time the interest will switch between increasing or decreasing.

I would say we have these (general) types of skiers today:

-Those who grew up with the skiingculture and spending lots of family time in the mountains. They are usually good skiers and can manage most disciplines. They choose "Old-School" telemark setups because it gives them most pleasure, and they also spend a lot of time using alpine touring gear for more demanding skiing and alpine/freeride skis in the resort.

-Mountaineers - they see skis as a tool and can handle alpine touring gear and alpine skis as well as classic cross country skis. Some of them are telemarketers too.

-Those who grow up competing and skiing one discipline, they tend to keep to their thing. (Alpine skiers, XC-skiers, Freeriders etc.). I believe it is mostly the XC-skiers in Norway that does any BC-skiing, probably most often with NNN bindings.
Freestyle skiers, for example, keep sticking with skiing in resorts. Why? - I do not know

-Those who only ski for a couple of times each year. They keep to the resorts and barely ever goes into the backcountry. They never learn to ski properly either.

Yeah. I rambled on for a while here. I hope it makes sense somehow?

Best regards,
Crister @ Åsnes

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Thank you Crister - it's very interesting to learn about Norway. I think the local terrain affects the gear and technique people are using too. Here in the northeastern US the mountains are mellow and backcountry touring usually involves long distances or long approaches to alpine terrain. Skiers can't just drive to the top of a mountain pass and start climbing up ski terrain. A lot of BC skiing is rolling hills and gentle terrain.

The NNNBC boots and "XCD" or touring skis market is popular here for that reason. I think this should be counted as one area of telemark that is growing and thriving - even if "heavy" telemark and 3-pin leather boots aren't as popular as they were.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote: What I believe to be the case, is that in some areas and in some subcultures, "old-school" telemark will live forever.
Hi again Crister, thank you for sharing. Its nice to see how Fjell skiing is so connected to family life in Scandinavia. My partner being from Sweden, I have also had the opportunity to enjoy spring vacations with them around Abisko.

I'm afraid there is not much culturally that will keep the tele art alive with any certainty here in Canada as the years go by. Also, it seems to me that there has been a disconnect between the older generation of telemarkers who spent years in leathers (and then moved on to plastic or retired) and the younger generation. Few skiers my age see the point of learning to tele on "skinny leather" gear. for most, its either mostly flat BC touring or full on alpine touring.

Skiing as a family is certainly key.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 am

Anyone living in Colorado? "Amundsen" screening at Neptune next week:

https://www.facebook.com/events/420624852016316/
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Åsnes1922

Post by Åsnes1922 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:50 am

Åsnes

Active Brands AS

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi Cristel,

Do you have an Easter egg for us like the new 2019-2020 catalog :o I have seen that Fischer and Madschus and many more have already published their catalog....