Anybody know a good cobbler?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Askel

Anybody know a good cobbler?

Post by Askel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Interesting failure on my 75mm Alpina Alaskas. I'm thinking a resole will take care of this.

I'm not sure if we have a local cobbler who can handle these anymore. Anybody have any recommendations for a cobbler willing to work by mail?

D'hostie

Re: Anybody know a good cobbler?

Post by D'hostie » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Send them back to Alpina. Apparently those are the old model which didn't have the full length reinforcement plate and were prone to cracking there.

Surefire way to fix that is to get the NNN-BC version. It's a more supportive sole as well. Assuming you can handle NNN-BC on whatever skis you use those with.

Askel

Post by Askel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for the tip!

I'll be experimenting with NNN-BC in their absence. I've had pretty good luck with turns on a regular NNN setup, so I think I'll be able to make the transition OK.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:38 pm

If all else fails try Dave Page the cobbler. It's 125.00 but worth getting your boots back in action.

Funny thing my wife and I had that happen to our 20 something year old boots after a short couple hundred yard boot up a steep spot on the same day.

Harris

Post by Harris » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:03 am

Askel wrote:Interesting failure on my 75mm Alpina Alaskas. I'm thinking a resole will take care of this.

I'm not sure if we have a local cobbler who can handle these anymore. Anybody have any recommendations for a cobbler willing to work by mail?
When I first read the title to this post I was automatically thinking Vermont at Christmas. I thought you were looking for a good pie cook or recipe for a family meal. It has been a long time since needing resoling.

I'd crack them into the welt before resoling, just to get your money's worth. Either way a cobbler is probably going to replace the welt anyway with the sole, which is preferable. Hell, the soles may come as a welt/sole combo. The pin holes don't look bad at all.

Harris

Post by Harris » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 am

Askel wrote:Interesting failure on my 75mm Alpina Alaskas. I'm thinking a resole will take care of this.

Damn, I just noticed... Those have super thin plastic welts. Wow! What is it above? Leather?

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 am

Try Steve Komito in Estes Park Colorado. Steve is a climber and telemark skier and has been doing boot resoling since time began. He did many first ascents across the West with his climbing partner the late Layton Kor ( a legend).

Komito Boots
235 W Riverside Dr, Estes Park, CO 80517

(970) 586-5391

He did some mountaineering boot resoles for me and they were perfect.

D'hostie

Post by D'hostie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Askel,

Here's my infamous boot squishing video. I had already sold my Alaska 75mm when I made this, but you can twist yours and see how floppy they are.

Despite the Svartisen 75mm being the floppiest of the three (but loads better than the Alaska 75), I find it to have the best feel for turns.

I use my Alaska BC mainly for touring around and do mess around with turns with it, but compared to the other two boots, it feels inadequate. The Svartisen BC is a beast, and is on the verge of being uncomfortable to tour with. I use it mainly to go make turns on sledding hills and in cemeteries with long XC skis.

PS If my first post wasn't clear, I'm pretty sure Alpina will warranty those boots no matter the age. They know of the problem and have been good about rectifying it. Not sure if they would give you a BC as a replacement, but worth an ask.

Askel

Post by Askel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I've contacted Alpina, we'll see what they say.

Will follow up with other suggestions if that doesn't pan out.

For the record, I have no opposition to the sharing of preparation methods for fruit based, baked confections either. :D