Duckbill boot question...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Duckbill boot question...

Post by Harris » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:00 am

Has anyone on here skied the Scott Synergy boots? Supposedly they are "old" wide last versions of the the Garment Ener-G. From what I can tell this is the same last Gramont molded into their boots up until 2006, at which time they went from a 103mm last to a minus 100mm last. The thing I love most about my old 2004 Garment Gara Firepower's that I use today is the fit. In comparison my TX Pros I use to use were ill-fitting at best, even after seeing a boot fitter. I swam in the 2nd gen TX Pros on a cylindrical measure, despite the fact they seemed wide enough. I had to buckle the hell out of them which caused cramps, and even past that warm up phase I never felt in sync with; width was fine but too much volume. The Garas on the other hand fit without even buckling them down. They feel like a perfect shoe, especially with my later model 2nd pair TX Pro liners (non-wrap) incorporated. So what is the Scott Synergy actually like? Like a stiffer Gara? Or something different?

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Duckbill boot question...

Post by connyro » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:19 am

There was to old Syner-g boots that were 3-buckle and made from soft plastic. I really liked these boots because of the lowish cuff and soft plastic. They are very comfortable as they accommodate wide feet well.

There was the old Energ-y which was a 4-buckle boot but also made from somewhat soft plastic. I really like this boot and still use it for the few times I get out to the groomers. These boots are very comfy.

The newer Synergy boot, based on what I've read, uses the same mold as the old Ener-g's but uses a stiffer plastic and reduced the number of buckles. I have NOT skied these boots, but I have skied the above mentioned boots extensively as well as the Garmont kenai boots which I believe uses the same plastic as the newer Synergy. I don't like the Kenai's because the plastic is way too stiff making them uncomfortable for touring, etc. but really great for turns. YMMV.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:16 pm

We do not see a lot of Scott boots around here... Too bad... I'd like to get to know them better... 8-)

The old Synergys were my first pair of tele plastic boots... They were very soft and very comfy, a very good transition boot for the leather-only teleskier that I was back then...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:09 pm

I ski Winter Park on Garmont Synergies. Soft and comfy, but good support. My son and I exchange boots occasionally. His oldish Scarpa T1's provide even more support, promote even more aggressive turning, but aren't as comfy. My son really liked the Synergy's when he tried them a week ago. He's into spinning around, going backwards, doing 360's, and making his dad look lame whenever possible. I've never skied BC with Synergy's and have better boot options for doing so.

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:33 pm

The Scott Synergy is supposedly the same boot as the Garmont Ener-G. Scott bought out Garmont's ski boot division. The Garment Synergy was a different boot. Just wondering if the Gara and the Scott Synergy fit about the same, used the same last Garment was known for pre-1996.