XCD with no metal edges

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al

XCD Guide

XCD with no metal edges

Postby lowangle al » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:25 pm

I have been skiing my Trak Bushwacker skis, 85-70-80, the past few days and have been getting some nice runs. I don't miss having metal edges, these skis turn fine in soft conditions. Back in the early day I remember people skiing xc skis with leather tele boots and 3 pin bindings. I think for most bc skiing, especially on trails, metal edges aren't necessary.

Is anybody else making turns on xc skis, and if so what skis?

Cannatonic

XCD Guide

Re: XCD with no metal edges

Postby Cannatonic » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:23 pm

I've got Asnes Breidablikk which are almost the same dimension as your skis, for turning in light powder and soft snow. I've made plenty of turns in edgeless 210cm XC skis but not of the telemark variety! Just parallel turns hanging on for dear life.

Johnny

XCD KNIGHT

Postby Johnny » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:09 pm

I really wish there was a lot more edgeless tele skis on the market... The Breidablikks have been on my wishlist for a while... (I know, pretty much everything is on my wishlist...) Metal edges are just a marketing thing... They are almost useless for most BC and XCD use... I can only think of a very few times I really needed edges on the BC... But hey, you gotta give the people what they want...

I have several edgeless skis, but all triple camber ultra stiff XC skis, not exactly skis for turning...

Hey Canna, we'd love to read a review of the Breidablikks... 8-)
(If I remember, I think some other members here also own them too... )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lowangle al

XCD Guide

Postby lowangle al » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:20 am

Those breidablikks do look good and they have an integrated skin. I hope they would have a smooth base.

They reomend them for skiing with dogs so I'm surprised they aren't more common.

There were yellow epoke skis that were popular in the 80s and I am luky to hae a pair. Een at 210 they turn real good and preditable with cc boots and bindings. I think the lak of a etal edge lets them flex freely.

sorry about the missing letters my keyboard is srewing up

lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

Postby lilcliffy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:58 pm

Obviously edges are not necessary in very deep soft powder snow.

There is a lot of backcountry snow conditions where metal-edge hold does matter though.

And- my limited understanding is that a lot of Fennoscandian backcountry skiers ski above tree-line on dense, windswept hardpacked snow? Metal-edge-hold on this snow also matters- especially with expedition weight on your shoulders and/or in a pulk behind you.

In my neck of the woods- I wouldn't expect a backcountry ski without metal edges to last very long- my skis take a hell of a lot of abuse from bushes and saplings in the Northwoods!
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

lowangle al

XCD Guide

Postby lowangle al » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:11 am

They work well in soft paked powder and corn snow too. They seem pretty sturdy too I think they were the cc ski recommended for carrying a heavy pack for overnighters. They aren't a substitute for metal edge skis but there are a lot of days when you know you won't run into anything hard.

We probably have just as many bushes and saplings in Pa. as you do up there, plus a lot of rocks and a lot less snow. I've been staying on the grassy logging roads for my turns so durability hasn't been an issue.

lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

Postby lilcliffy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Sorry man- shouldn't have babbled on about myself there...

That is quite a BC-XC ski you have there- pretty sure that is the same profile of the old Karhu Orion.

85-70-80mm IME/IMO is about the ideal XC profile for deep fresh snow.

Too little is gained in terms of turning ability- on skis that are primarily intended for XC skiing- and too much is lost in grip, float and stability- with all of these midwidth Nordic touring skis with wasp waists.
The pursuit of XCD balance: cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry

lowangle al

XCD Guide

Postby lowangle al » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:17 pm

They may be the same ski. I suspect they were built in the same factory. I was out on Sunday and ran into other old farts who were skiing on guides and I noticed that the pattern on the bases was the same. Fishscales on the top and bottom with straight lines underfoot. Trak skis also were made in Canada, they called their base pattern "omnitrac".

lilcliffy

XCD KNIGHT

Postby lilcliffy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 am

Yeah- my memory is all of these skis were made in the Karhu factory in Quebec. Omintrack was (and now is Madshus' after K2 bought the moulds) Karhu's backcountry waxless scale pattern.

Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”