Screw the leashes!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Screw the leashes!

Post by Harris » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:21 pm

My area hardly bothers to check passes when I ski mid-week. Not once have they looked to see if I was leashed. I hate leashes. Of the thousands of days on telemark skis I can only think of twice a ski came off. So from here on out I pronounce myself "leash free."

Of course I'll keep them in a pocket just in case I get called out.

Free the Leash!

teleclub

Re: Screw the leashes!

Post by teleclub » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:59 am

Beware that first step on the slippery slope back to NTN...Next you'll start wanting ski brakes again. ;-)

Harris

Post by Harris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 am

teleclub wrote:Beware that first step on the slippery slope back to NTN...Next you'll start wanting ski brakes again. ;-)
I've been to the dark side. I've had NTN Rott Freerides, Meidjo and Outlaws, using TX Pros. And now I'm back on duckbills using circa 1996 Garment Garas with Vice and AXL bindings. Brakes? I don't need no stinking brakes (or leashes).

teledance

Post by teledance » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:24 am

Haven't worn leashes in years, but I'm on 3-pin hardwire and never lost a ski. Fortunately no one checks at my ski hill.

teledance

Post by teledance » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:25 am

Haven't worn leashes in years, but I'm on 3-pin hardwire and never lost a ski. Fortunately no one checks at my ski hill.

Askel

Post by Askel » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:11 pm

I recall one powder day at the local hill a few years back when a friend stopped at the top of hill, and removed a ski to adjust something or other.

Seemingly without warning, and defying all known laws of physics, the ski immediately started heading down the hill, as if drawn by a power far greater than itself. About 20 feet out it slipped underneath the snow, taking a submarine trajectory down the hill without leaving any clue on the surface of it's direct path.

You might think you can ski, but can you ski one telemark ski in 2' of fresh powder?

By some inexplicable miracle, the ski resurfaced at the bottom of the hill as if satisfied by it's brief moment of freedom, ready to rejoin the pair.

I don't ski with leashes either. If you love something, set it free.... :lol: