Supporting the beast.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Supporting the beast.

Post by Harris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 am

A lot of folks can only think "telemark" or "BC" or "whatever" when it comes to skiing. Personally I think that is kinda retarded. Frankly those who can't do or are fragile find safe niches and handicaps to protect the ego. To me that is not what skiing free heel is about. Telemarking isn't a life, it isn't a epiphany, it isn't anything special; it is just another way of turning skis. Skiing is skiing. And skiing amazing in any form is an amazing feat. Mikaela Shiffrin is possibly the best US skier to ever don skis. I look forward to being amazed by her in the Olympics. Forget that she is on alpines; she is a running tutorial of how it should be done. She is USA all the way. And possibly no one works harder towards the art of turning snow.

GO MIKAELA!

teleclub

Re: Supporting the beast.

Post by teleclub » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:57 am

She's world class. Her work ethic is only matched by her intensity and focus. Inspiring.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:32 am

oooops I kinda think Telemark is something SPECIAL....It gives one the access to the world of Nature where insights abound....Unfortunately skiing on all that downhill "stuff" isn't going get you very far on a journey into the unknown...And Schifferin is a wonder....Totally fantastic...TM

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 am

Harris wrote:A lot of folks can only think "telemark" or "BC" or "whatever" when it comes to skiing. Personally I think that is kinda retarded. Frankly those who can't do or are fragile find safe niches and handicaps to protect the ego. To me that is not what skiing free heel is about. Telemarking isn't a life, it isn't a epiphany, it isn't anything special; it is just another way of turning skis. Skiing is skiing. And skiing amazing in any form is an amazing feat.
You hit the nail on the head Harris. Telemark is a ski technique: one of many to get you out into the woods or down the hill. It isn't anything special. It happens to work well for where I ski, but there's other ways that work well too. Skinnies, fat, leather, plastic, alpine, XC, tele are all different tools that should be in any good all-around skier's toolbox. This tele-religion stuff has always seemed silly to me.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:06 am

Always makes me think of a quote by the late and venerable Allan Bard: " It doesn't matter the places you choose, or the tools you use, it's all skiing".

I hope that's still posted up on the rental rack at Cascade XC center in Lake Placid.

anemic

Post by anemic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:07 am

All the skis. Go Mikaela! And you go Harris !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

Askel

Post by Askel » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 pm

To say that the vast majority of my co-workers are not out of doors types would be an understatement.

As such, I'm often placed in the situation of explaining what the hell it is I do all winter when not at work.

"I ski."

Most people just sort of glaze over immediately at this point, but occasionally some brave soul will press for details inquiring as to whether I ski cross country or downhill.

"My worldview does not allow for such narrow distinctions."

At this point, I either have a new skiing buddy or have further reinforced my status as "that guy."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 pm

I am a Nordic skier. More specifically a Nordic BC skier. I love making turns, mostly tele, but I get enjoyment out of P turns too. I identify as a Nordic skier first and foremost, which is probably different then how a resort telemarker or even skin up only telemarker feels.

I hope the best for Makaela and hope she is as successful as Lindsy Vohnn who was no slouch either. She hasmore guts than I ever had.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Just watched a couple of videos of her. Truly gifted. Ran an entire GS with not a hint of wasted movement.

Harris

Post by Harris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:26 pm

I guess she is known for training harder than anyone on the circuit. Totally focused on improvement. Bode Miller says she is the best skier he's ever seen. If she continues to podium every SL race she will break Ingemar Stenmark's record. Unless she gets injured, she likely will. Check out this training vid. At the 1:05 and 3:09 minute marks particularly. What an animal.