Scary adjectives for winter storms- opinion?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Scary adjectives for winter storms- opinion?

Post by Woodserson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I say bring it. The more 'polar vortexes' or 'bomb typhoons' or 'winter-canes' that we get with fancy names and frantic newscasters scaring the general public about loading up on BREAD AND MILK NOW! the better we are off as skiers.

Yesterday, I spent a day at the hill with not even three rows of cars in the parking lot. There were some parents there that went skiing but couldn't get their kids out of the house. That's fine with me! 16" of snow storm total. I got about 12" of it. (admittedly not good for the ski hill economically).

Today I went to a popular area for XC skiing and snowshoeing and postholing which is INSIDE city limits, a full 24hrs after the storm, to find I was breaking trail. I think I was the first one there, actually, I know I was, because I was breaking trail. It was somewhat sunny, 5degF, windy, with all this new snow and at 3pm I was the first person to get there. GTFO.

Where is everybody? What are they doing?

Ooo Ooo it's cold, wahwahwah, I should stay inside all day, wah.

I reap. I reap.

Here's a terrible video that will waste your time featuring moi. This was harder than it looks, holding this damn phone thing going down the hill with both poles in one hand.

STG

Re: Scary adjectives for winter storms- opinion?

Post by STG » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Nice tracks and great pow! Always better when you have the trail to yourself. I know some people in Colorado that drool when they see the snow that hammered the East.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Man, you sure had those woodies flying, very cool. Thanks for sharing

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36 am

I agree with you 100% Woods, that was a terrible video, but it was better than any I hae posted lately

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:47 pm

I am glad you enjoyed its terrible terribleness, Al!

Today I broke more trail, again, at the same popular ski/snowshoe/posthole place this time with two buds. Still the first guy there. Later in the day as we tied together a few different trail networks into a 7 mile trek across town we ran into 1 snowshoer, 2 snowshoers, and 2 snowshoers. A total of 5 people spread across miles of trail network with multiple access spots inside city limits, on a Saturday with bluebird skies.

Yes! Stay inside little ones! Stay inside! More Bomb-Cyclones! More obscure records broken that have no real meaning! More Fear! Fear the cold! Winter is bad! The less you go out in the cold, the more cold it feels! Don't climatize, vegercize!