ski with the other ones

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
teleclub

Re: ski with the other ones

Post by teleclub » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm

lowangle al wrote:My wife and I have been skiing together for over thirty years and there can be a downside. I've been blamed for bad weather, bad conditions, most of her falls have been my falt and we usually get a late start.
Ha! don't get a tandem

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:32 pm

2016-03-26 033.JPG
Here is one from last year of the OL.

anemic

Post by anemic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:25 pm

Oh my word Al. That is top notch. I would love to ski with you sometime. We'd have a team of 4 heading up the skin track.
Call it Nordic Freeride

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:08 pm

That's no lie Al. Mrs. Anemic skis gracefully, and with speed. I only have caught a couple glimpses from the chair, but no doubt Mrs. A can ski

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Al, skiing tele with one's spouse is a rare blessing! I sometimes wish my wife could join my son and me when we're carving turns. My wife, fantastic partner that she is, gave up "hill skiing" 25 years ago after she broke her collarbone in an intimate encounter with a tree. Luckily, I wasn't the oaf who encouraged her to exceed her skill limit that time. Since that injury even XC low angle terrain becomes hell for her when the pitch becomes bunny-hillish. When xc skiing with her, and flat trails are a must, she becomes annoyed when I handicap myself in order to reduce my speed. I'll be wondering just what the hell she's doing back there, so to make it more interesting, I'll sometimes keep one ski in the air, or better, disavow any use of poles. Skiing on the spot is also a not-so-discreet way of asking "what's taking ya so long, sweetie"? Yes, I'm a monster. She finds my games charming as long as I don't overdo it. That's the problem, though. I always believed you couldn't get too much of a good thing. She's adopted snowshoeing, though, which we do together. At resorts, she hikes up and meets us up top for lunch. Of course we husbands are to blame for most tumbles, crashes, and inclement weather. That's only par for the course.

anemic

Post by anemic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:21 pm

You are too kind Bob thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:30 am

teleclub wrote:
lowangle al wrote:My wife and I have been skiing together for over thirty years and there can be a downside. I've been blamed for bad weather, bad conditions, most of her falls have been my falt and we usually get a late start.
Ha! don't get a tandem
Been there , dumped that. :) We've only had issues in whitewater.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:38 am

anemic wrote:Oh my word Al. That is top notch. I would love to ski with you sometime. We'd have a team of 4 heading up the skin track.
That sounds good Anemic, I look forward to meeting and skiing with forum members,but i figured it would be me down there doing the traveling. I would be happy to help anyone put a trip together who is planning to come up here. Since I don't work winters I have plenty of time to get out with them too.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:49 am

Martin, too bad about your wifes injury affecting her skiing. My wife was always more into the tour then the turns, but last season after thirty years she said "now I know why you are so crazy about this."

hrishi

Post by hrishi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:41 am

My wife and I do most outdoorsy things together- running, hiking/ backpacking, and now alpine climbing and skiing. Whilst outdoors we mostly talk about normal day-to-day things- I like it; it makes these experiences quite normal and regular, rather than rare and special.

Here's another reason to ski with the other ones :lol: :
IMG_8563.JPG
^ is the avalanche deaths statistics of by gender (from a recent avalanche awareness talk from Friends of Berthoud Pass). Hilarious as it might look (this slide got quite a laughter from the audience), it is pretty eye-opening.