Care and maintenance of plastic boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lars

Care and maintenance of plastic boots

Post by Lars » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 am

A Fischer representative told me that he had good luck using a product called Neutral.

This looks like a leather boot cream from RedWing.

What would you recommend for treating and maintaining plastic boots with leather like the Fischer BCX6?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Care and maintenance of plastic boots

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm

There's not much you can do about the plastic parts... They will eventually break up at some point... ;)

Not sure how many real leather parts are actually on the BCX6, but I guess any kind of treatment is better than nothing... Not sure the solvent-based RedWing cream is the best for outdoor use though... Maybe some kind of natural oil or water-based cream would be better...? Paging LilCliffy... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Care and maintenance of plastic boots

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 am

I certainly think maintaining the leather portions of composite boots makes sense- if not the leather will dry out and crack, and it may end up pinching your foot... I really don't know if there is a way to maintain the synthetic parts of the uppers...The plastic is eventually going to breakdown and wear out.

Those BCX^ boots have a Thinsulate liner and Fischer's waterproof-breathable liner. No matter what- don't use oil on that boot- otherwise you will end up with cold and wet feet.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.