NNNBC boot for wide feet

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
niles

Re: NNNBC boot for wide feet

Post by niles » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:58 pm

Both the Alpina 1600 and the Lundhag look like nice boots and both are not available in the US as far as I can tell. Ordering from Europe and then having to return them if they don't fit sounds like a real pain, unless I'm wrong.

sheep
Ski style: Fallingdowning, Bumsliding, Snoweating...
Favorite Skis: Ånses Combat Nato

Post by sheep » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:19 am

niles wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:58 pm
Both the Alpina 1600 and the Lundhag look like nice boots and both are not available in the US as far as I can tell. Ordering from Europe and then having to return them if they don't fit sounds like a real pain, unless I'm wrong.
Tested Lunghags and no, super tight.

I bought 2 sizes bigger than what was recommended, and the tightness was just ridiculous.

Lundhags told me I'd need custom made as the material they use won't stretch.

Lundhags has wide toebox region; if the tightness is only in your toes you are good; they look like quality boots and I am actually saddened, but if it's anywhere else, those boots have zero give; with a high volume foot you are for a world of pain.

I am looking at Alpina Alaskas now because they have a lot of laces, but I can't tell if that gives them stretch.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:36 am

sheep wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:19 am
niles wrote:

I bought 2 sizes bigger than what was recommended, and the tightness was just ridiculous.

Lundhags has wide toebox region; if the tightness is only in your toes you are good; they look like quality boots and I am actually saddened, but if it's anywhere else, those boots have zero give; with a high volume foot you are for a world of pain.

I am looking at Alpina Alaskas now because they have a lot of laces, but I can't tell if that gives them stretch.
Alpina Alaska BC/75 is not wide.
Also- they do not stretch, due to both the wrap-around rubber rand; and the waterproof liner (ie "Alpitex" liner).
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:44 am

sheep wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:19 am
niles wrote:

That post you quoted is from 5 years ago, lol. Anyway I agree the Alaska is not wide and a rand makes stretching difficult or maybe not possible. I tried on the cheaper, synthetic Alpina boot the Montana and it was wider and comfortable. Maybe it does not have as much insulation.
I find that Crispi boots fit my wide foot very well. You can order them from Telemarkdown in the US and if they don't fit you are only out $15 or $20 for return postage. Better than returning boots from France, lol, ask me how I know.

DPO777
Ski style: Cross Country, BackCountry, Out the back door Country
Favorite Skis: Karhu XCD GTs, refurbished wood top unknown skis from the 80s bought during an Alberta Snowmageddon
Favorite boots: Made in Italy 75 mil 3-Pin Alico leather boots. Put to rest Crispi leather boots.
Occupation: Retired now upgrading older ski stuff to more modern technology

Post by DPO777 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:48 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm
Excellent question and thread Niles.

I don't have wide feet- so the width of NNNBC boots has never been an issue for me.

What about foot volume? Do you have low-volume or large-volume feet?

Have you ever measured your instep vs. the length of your foot?

For decades my wife though her problem was that her feet were wide- as it turns out she has large-volume feet. Her foot length should fit a 40EU, but she needs at least a 41EU to fit her foot and instep properly. (She is an expert downhill skier that for decades has suffered in boots that were sized by length- not volume- we have fixed that too.)

My point is that you may have more success with sizing based on your instep measurement- versus your foot length.

I have the opposite problem- I have a low volume foot. My foot- based on length- should be a 42-42.5EU- but some boots are so large volume I would need a 41EU in order to prevent heel lift- but, a 41EU is too short for my feet.

The reports and tests suggest that Crispi's NNNBC boots may be the largest volume - (Which is partly why I have avoided the expense of ordering/returning them). There are US Crispi dealers- I would think you could order a pair and return them easily if they did not fit (I am in Canada- ordering from the US is not a problem- returning it is a major hassle).

Also- you should get good info on this thread- there are a number of experienced skiers on this thread that have had to give up on NNNBC boots due to their wide feet...
Lots of sales on. Hope winter returns for some more snow fun.

Finding wide boots with the NNN-BC or even the 75nn duckbill seems to be a hit and miss. More on the miss side.

I have wide feet with an instep matching my length so neutral on the arch. My foot is 44/45. With wide feet you are at a bit of a loss as the boot design width doesn't seem to increase too much as the size goes up a step or two. Yes I agree there is more room up from but your foot has to stretch in length by foot width compression.

A situation that still leads to sore feet after a long ski. It doesn't help that when our feet weather the years they get all kinds of bumps and lumps from what I would call is occupational and life's share of abuse.

My wife's problem is even worse as she has super wide woman's size 5.5 feet. Her arch is neutral or less than but the inset measurement is still quite proud of the foot length. Theoretically she should take a EUR 36.5 but her 37s boots are still too narrow and have yet to see whether 38s would be any better. To make matters worse the woman's boots are general designed with a bit of a narrower width so the Men's boots are a roomier fit.

Amplifying the boot fitting problem is every manufacture seems to approach the sizing and interior volume differently.

Just changing slowly away from the older leather 75mm 3-pin boots to trying newer more lined plastic type boots. Yet the older leather Alico boots of good quality have still remain pretty stiff over the years. Although finding well fitting NNN-BC boots will determine if those boots get hung on a nail or not.

For sure the modern boots with an insulated liner may be easier and more forgiving to fit into than the older full leather 3-pin boots that have a more firm inner construction as the liner.

I thought the Lundhags would be wider but some have commented that they are roomier in the toe box but not necessarily in the width. Their high price tag low availability in NA is also a deterrent.

With all this 3D imaging and printing technology you would think in the future they would just make the boots to fit your actual foot shape and size but it would likely never come to be given the increased manufacturing costs and delay times but only time will tell...
ole leathers.jpg
Old Alicos and ASCs. Still stiff.
The new Alicos made for Altai Skis look good but I don't think they make a BC version from the their full line.
alico1.jpg
Alicos customized for Altai Skis
The Crispi BC GTX looks good and wabene mentioned they are a bit wider. They always made a solid full leather upper boot in the past.
1220_800x500.jpg
Crispi BC GTX