Alpine Touring/Telemark skis- grip wax versus scales?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Alpine Touring/Telemark skis- grip wax versus scales?

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:15 am

LC since you have other no-wax skis like your guides and Altais to get you through warm ups or spring skiing it sounds like the vectors would be a luxury rather than a neccessity. If this is the case then you should consider the waxable version. It seems like your quiver of "fat" skis is heavy with no wax already. Plus the smooth ones will be good at the resort.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:38 pm

phoenix wrote:...Finally, if anyone can explain to me how to do the highlited quote thing for these responses, feel free to educate me!
Just click on the quotation symbol at the top right corner of the post you wan to quote. Then you see a box that has that post's text with bracketed commands on each end. The upper bracketed command contains the ID of the poster you're quoting. I like to edit this to include only the sentences I'm replying to specifically, so I delete stuff but leave the bracketed commands alone at the ends. To separate the quote into parts like Low angle Al does with LC's quote above, you just copy and past the bracketed commands at the beginning and end so that each of your quotes has the proper bracketed command at beginning and end. I always include ellipses (...) to indicate where I edit just because I'm messing with someone els's words and I want to make it clear they said more than I'm quoting. Sometimes I use the bold or italics command at the top left of the composing box to emphasize some words in what I'm quoting. Good editing practice would say I should somehow indicate "emphasis mine" and I could put that in parentheses (since brackets would read as a command by the software) but I'm hoping people don't mind if I emphasize something in their words.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 pm

lowangle al wrote:LC since you have other no-wax skis like your guides and Altais to get you through warm ups or spring skiing it sounds like the vectors would be a luxury rather than a neccessity. If this is the case then you should consider the waxable version. It seems like your quiver of "fat" skis is heavy with no wax already. Plus the smooth ones will be good at the resort.
It certainly would be a luxury at this point!!!! I have already overspent my ski budget this year- and didn't even buy a new pair of boots as planned!

I was actually decided on buying a Voile ski trying to decide between the Objective/Vector/V6- but got equally paralyzed by grip wax vs. scales...

I say I was going to get a Voile sk- that is until I got the Kom and the Storetind, both at low prices- I ended up getting both of them for what it would cost me to get just one Voile ski at retail price!

Anyway- someday I would like to buy a Voile ski- and was interested in what others thought about the waxable versus the scales on these AT/Telemark skis....Plus- it was the middle of the rain storm (!!!???) and I couldn't go skiing!!!

Regardless- your advice is sound Al.

Do you use your waxable Vectors on groomed snow?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:42 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Do you use your waxable Vectors on groomed snow?
I'm obviously not LLA, but I have skied quite a bit on the non-scale Vectors in 180cm on groomed snow. They are pretty fun actually. They hold an edge well on firm snow, considering how light these skis are and the fact that they are a BC ski... I've used them with AXL bindings and Garmont Energ-y boots. I found a speed limit with this setup. I don't feel confidence going at mach speeds on them on groomers.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Do you use your waxable Vectors on groomed snow?
I don't ski much groomed snow but if I do they will be my first choice. I've skied enough packed trails to be confident they will work.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:46 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Do you use your waxable Vectors on groomed snow?
I used waxable Vectors on groomed trails and when the conditions were nice (ie NOT BULLETPROOF) they held an edge nice and were fun-enough-did-the-job, quick for their width, skis. A little high-freq vibration on harder stuff, nothing too terrible. Detuned the rocker edges a bunch to keep down the grabbiness.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

I guess I have always considered these skis too wide for skiing on-piste locally. My local hill is steep- only 260m vertical- and the conditions are typically hard and icy. Even the 84mm of the longest Objective is wider than I would typically want on my local hill...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.