BC90/Excursion 88 binding suggestions.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
madman.lee

BC90/Excursion 88 binding suggestions.

Post by madman.lee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi all,

Currently my setup is the rossignol bc70 with nnn bc bindings and a Fischer bcx boot (lightweight double camber setup). I like this, but want to adventure a bit more off track.So, I'd like something in between that and my full downhill Telemark setup.

I'm leaning towards the bc90, but I am struggling with the binding and boot combo.

I am considering using the nnn bc magnum binding to use with my Fischer bcx boot or alpina Alaska toebar.

-or-

Or getting a light 3 pin and cable set up, with the alpina Alaska 75mm on the bc90 ski.

What would you all recommend?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Last edited by madman.lee on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lars

Re: BC90/Excursion 88 binding suggestions.

Post by Lars » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 am

I'm using fischer bcx6 boots with nnnbc magnums on excursion 88s. Enjoying this setup very much, although my experience is limited.

ddg

Post by ddg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 am

I use Alico Ski March leathers with BC125 and Voile 3-pin cable bindings, although never attached the cables. I love this setup for XCd through rough tight backcountry.
Derrick

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 am

ddg wrote:I use Alico Ski March leathers with BC125 and Voile 3-pin cable bindings, although never attached the cables. I love this setup for XCd through rough tight backcountry.
I'm kind of thinking of something like this with a Rossi BC110 for you, if you want something in between. The jump between the 70 and the 90 might not be enough to really change your current results. If it's miles you're looking for, then the 90, but if you are looking for more turn oriented fun or it's going to be consistently deeper snow without a consolidated base, then the 110.

Depending on your comfort and experience level, the Alaska NNNBC on the 90 or 110 would be a sweet set-up. I can't attest to it personally but word on the street is that the Alaska 75mm is outperformed by the NNNBC model, and there are better 75mm boots out there if you choose the 3pin route.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 am

madman.lee wrote: I'm leaning towards the bc90, but I am struggling with the binding and boot combo.
Beautiful off-track touring ski.
I am considering using the nnn bc magnum binding to use with my Fischer bcx boot or alpina Alaska toebar.
I would rate the Fischer BCX5 in the same class as the Alpina Alaska NNNBC. The Fischer BCX6 NNNBC is another step up in terms of downhill support- with a resultant loss in XC flexibility. Which is "better" depends on terrain, snow conditions, and skier skills. I like the freedom of motion in the Alaska- but, I am not skiing down truly steep terrain with that boot.

Any of these boots would be ideal Nordic touring boots to match the BC90.
Or getting a light 3 pin and cable set up, with the alpina Alaska 75mm on the bc90 ski.
Don't like the 75mm version of the Alaska- VERY wimpy sole, and read MANY reports of premature sole separation...

Regardless- the Alaska is a striding XC boot- the cable is unnecessary with this class of boot.

The primary advantage of the 3-pin binding is if you think you want to ski down some truly steep terrain and want to able to steer this ski with a true Telemark boot (or you cannot find a NNNBC that fits your foot).

If you went with 3-pin cable binding, you can eventually buy a true Telemark boot if you want more stability and leverage over the ski.

That being said I can easily manage a ski in the BC90 class with soft XC boots (e.g. Alaska) on moderate forested slopes and backcountry snow.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Teleking and Telekid both use the bc 90 for general all around bc skiing...They both also use Rotta three pin super telemark...You can't go wrong with that....Unless using them for cc get pins then they can come interchangeable with about any kind of ski...up to and including bone type large skis , very light....well driven by pins...TM