Hi from Alaska and some questions

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

Re: Hi from Alaska and some questions

Post by t-$ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:15 am

hey john, hope all is well with you and you are finally able to get out and enjoy the skiing.

i just wanted to chime in because last weekend i had a chance to try on those bcx11's. i have only worn the alaskas in nnn, and so since i am also looking for 75mm boots i thought i would try them on just to see. (they were the only 75mm boot the place offered) holy crap they are soft.

i'm not really sure what the design was going for, perhaps they are designed as a kicking boot or something, but i was very suprised how flexy they were. i hope you enjoy them, and they work out for you. have you skied them yet? i think i would have a hard time, but i'm not a very good skiier. some of the regular xc boots i have had have almost given more support...

anyways, i wold imagine that after some time on those if you get a different boot you will love the added control and support. either way, have fun out there!

AKjohn

Post by AKjohn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:10 am

Nope, I haven't had a chance to ski them yet. Picked them up yesterday wind is still howling. Supposed to die down sometime tomorrow.

I figure as soon as the wind dies down I will see about getting out. I grabbed them purely as a get me out there boot. I plan on meeting up with Chisana and checking his boots out if they fit I Will be taking a pair or two off his hands. Also planning on trying a pair of the Alico surplus boots.

After I got home I looked the boots up. They few reviews or thoughts here weren't the greatest your thoughts on them echoed what I had seen. The blog bedrock and paradox seemed ok with them. For $25 I can get some use out of them and then flip them if they don't work out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:40 pm

That boot is a backcountry XC boot- not a Telemark boot.

It may fit exactly what you are looking to do. Only one way to find out though!

Excellent price!

That boot is more than enough for the Epoch- unless you are on very steep terrain- but, the Epoch is not designed for such terrain in the first place.

Seems like a great match to me.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

AKjohn

Post by AKjohn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm

lilcliffy wrote:That boot is a backcountry XC boot- not a Telemark boot.

It may fit exactly what you are looking to do. Only one way to find out though!

Excellent price!

That boot is more than enough for the Epoch- unless you are on very steep terrain- but, the Epoch is not designed for such terrain in the first place.

Seems like a great match to me.
Thanks for the comments lc at least to start withb it is going to be xc and very little if any d till I get it figured out. Definitely no really steep stuff.

Looks like I will either have to find different bindings or different boots for the hand-me-down Lampinens, the duck bill on the boots are too thick for the old wire bail.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

AKjohn

Post by AKjohn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:49 pm

Double post

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:11 pm

If you are looking for some thin duckbilled boots for the lampinens and cant find some of the cheaper merrells(they sold lots of them in the 80s and 90s), in the second hand shops, you might check online for some whitewoods. Not really a quality boot, but they are still being manufactured and are reasonably priced . Bought a pair online for my old woodies last year for kick and glide and they are holding up fine. They do run small,if you are unable to try them on. Of course you could always put a binding on them that accepts thicker duckbills (and I believe I have an extra set of rottefella stms around here I should get rid of). That would be overkill and defeat the purpose of a light kick and glide ski.