Satchel’s Neophyte Nordic Backcountry Adventure Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Young Satchel

Satchel’s Neophyte Nordic Backcountry Adventure Thread

Post by Young Satchel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 am

Well...... I got out for a quick pre-work Valley tour yesterday after the recent snow, and in spite of my enthusiasm, I gotta say it was probably the worst time I’ve had on skis this season haaaaa [emoji23].

If I didn’t enjoy Type II fun so much, I prolly woulda packed it in ASAP and headed for coffee, but no, instead I slogged it out. Here’s some visuals from the journey.....

So why was it so bad, you ask? Truth be told I’m still so green at this BC Nordic thang that I can’t say for sure. In my estimation, it was the fault of the snow, and perhaps a lack of wax. Temps have been fluctuating mightily this season, and though we got a good 8” of fresh in the valley, it was kind of granular and over a base of warm, slushy ground....

The effect was EXTREMELY frustrating to say the least. There was zero glide. I was breaking Trail on the way out, and literally every step I would feel the Fish scale base sucking at the slush below. Then the ski would get stuck under the heavy coat on top and I would have to kind of wrench it out. I would have been way faster in snow shoes honestly.

It was still pretty beautiful so I made my way (sloooooowwwwwwwly) out to the partially frozen pond before turning back towards the car....

When I made it back to the car and took my skis off I started dying laughing [emoji24][emoji23][emoji24]......

Hahahaha hahahah. Shit.

Well, if this ends up being the last outing of the season for me it will certainly have been a memorable one, if not for exactly the right reasons....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Satchel’s Neophyte Nordic Backcountry Adventure Thread

Post by connyro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am

Wow. What a mess. Hey, at least you burned a bunch of calories while fighting with those conditions! I wonder if rubbing paste wax on the entire base of your skis would have helped. I really enjoy your photos: there's a couple great ones in your post. The rocks embedded in snow on your ski bases is pretty funny!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Yep, that kind of snow sucks, but at least you got out.

Rock_Doc

Post by Rock_Doc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:17 pm

I've been enjoying your photos from the season -- your area reminds me of my days growing up in Ohio. I used to use this stuff called "Maxi Glide" on my waxless XC skis for that kind of snow/conditions. I have not really kept up on that stuff in recent years/decades, so could not even begin tell you if MaxiGlide (or a similar product) is on the market for waxless skis. BUT, your images definitely conjure up memories of trying to XC ski in Ohio with similar conditions, and this stuff made it slightly more bearable. Thanks again posting such lovely imagery!

cheers,
JT

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 pm

the picture of the gravel and snow sticking is a classic!!! You absolutely need Maxiglide or Swix F4, I applied as much as I possibly could yesterday in similar conditions and it really helped.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks for the photo-love + advice on all fronts gentlemen. In my estimation, it’s always better to get out than not, so I ain’t mad at it.

I’m just really wanting to get some extended quality time on these new skis of mine, and I can’t say this winter has cooperated. Hoping for a couple more goes of it before spring comes, but that may or may not happen at this rate.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:39 am

Always carry a scraper.

Don't let your skis get wet.

Hot wax the glide sections and keep the scales lubed up with F4 or Maxiglide.

Persevere.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:24 am

Woodserson wrote:Always carry a scraper.

Don't let your skis get wet.

Hot wax the glide sections and keep the scales lubed up with F4 or Maxiglide.

Persevere.
1/4 ain’t bad [emoji24][emoji23]

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Keep rocking it satch... There's always next season...

& I have to Agee that your photos are great! I also love the one of the loaded ski....misery loves company!!!!!

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:18 am

Its like that bad girl that you know you should stay away from, but you keep going back for more. On days like those I question my decision to go out, but by the time I get back Im dreaming about the next outing. Experience points, thats what I tell myself. Great pics!
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie