Satchel’s Neophyte Nordic Backcountry Adventure Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

Re: Satchel’s Neophyte Nordic Backcountry Adventure Thread

Post by t-$ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 pm

hahahahhaha, yessss!!!! :lol:
snowcranes.jpg

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:55 pm

So the second I pulled up at the trail head it started fucking raining. But I’m a G so I said “fuck this noise Ima go anyway” [emoji23][emoji24]

And so I did....

Here’s some admittedly sub-par pics from a rain-soaked but still enjoyable outing:

Imagese

^^whole lotta rains

Snow was hella sticky and wet but I was able to find a few fun downhill sections and practice some limited turns.

Mostly it’s just a fucking joy to be out there, period. I really don’t take anything for granted in my life anymore so any time spent in the woods whether on feet or on skis puts a big-ass grin on my face whether the conditions are crappy or epic.

Hoping for another—better—session soon but the weather looks uncooperative. I’m feeling good on the skis though. Feel like if I could do this 2-3x/week for a season I could actually get decent. Only time (and SNOW!) will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Hey man,

Thanks for the update on your skiing story.

Your climate is a challenge for your skiing- but, your love of trail running is the PERFECT compliment to your growing passion for Nordic touring. Just hit the trail as much as you can- strength, stamina and balance is the most important thing!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Hey man,

Thanks for the update on your skiing story.

Your climate is a challenge for your skiing- but, your love of trail running is the PERFECT compliment to your growing passion for Nordic touring. Just hit the trail as much as you can- strength, stamina and balance is the most important thing!
Thanks man!

I’m really loving it but holy shit, it’s been a brutally bad season for me to learn! I’m scared that this may be it for me this year as temps are in the high 40s for the next 7-10 days with narry a snowflake on the horizon :-(

Oh well.....

I’m glad I dived in this year nonetheless. Now
I got the gear and at least started getting some legs under me skill-wise.

anemic

Post by anemic » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Yeah this season has been sketchy and spotty here in Michigan as well. Do you have a nearby Alpine ski area that makes snow? When the fields and woods are barren it is an alternative.
Call it Nordic Freeride

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:38 pm

anemic wrote:Yeah this season has been sketchy and spotty here in Michigan as well. Do you have a nearby Alpine ski area that makes snow? When the fields and woods are barren it is an alternative.
Yeah man, it’s a bummer all around. :-/

I do have some alpine areas nearby, but I’m unfortunately rarely in a position where I have then time or funds to take advantage of that at present. My BC outings are mostly at local conservation areas that I can hit up on my way from dropping the kiddos at daycare to work.

I’m hoping for at least 2-3 more Nordic Mini-Tours before my season is dunzo, but that may not be in the cards...

anemic

Post by anemic » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Young Satchel wrote:
anemic wrote:Yeah this season has been sketchy and spotty here in Michigan as well. Do you have a nearby Alpine ski area that makes snow? When the fields and woods are barren it is an alternative.
Yeah man, it’s a bummer all around. :-/

I do have some alpine areas nearby, but I’m unfortunately rarely in a position where I have then time or funds to take advantage of that at present. My BC outings are mostly at local conservation areas that I can hit up on my way from dropping the kiddos at daycare to work.

I’m hoping for at least 2-3 more Nordic Mini-Tours before my season is dunzo, but that may not be in the cards...

Shoot for post season turns or early bird.

Call it Nordic Freeride

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 pm

yeah man, like anemic said, our snow is fading fast. same forecast as you basically. hopefully it'll shift again. good luck and i hope you get some more in!!

Oldbie

Post by Oldbie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:39 pm

Love it. Pocket wilderness. It's amazing how winter transforms well-trodden places into sources of solitude.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Oldbie wrote:Love it. Pocket wilderness. It's amazing how winter transforms well-trodden places into sources of solitude.
Very well said!