Skis: Black Diamond Voodoos

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
martin2007

Skis: Black Diamond Voodoos

Post by martin2007 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Anyone ever ski on these? A pair has come up for sale driving distance from me. I believe they're vintage 2005-2008 or thereabouts. I wonder how they'd fare as hard pack/rock skis at resorts?

martin2007

Re: Skis: Black Diamond Voodoos

Post by martin2007 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm

Well, I guess nobody here is familiar with them. Anyway, the seller rendezvoused with me today 30 minutes south of Mary Jane on his way to Denver. They look good, the BD bindings look great (have a free-pivot tour mode), and twin tips to help me master the art of backwards tele so I can win back the adulation of my 17-year-old son who, ungrateful meany that he is, likes to remind me that ONLY HE can do such pretty maneuvers. Sceptics out there, you have a point: why would a sane individual want to go down a hill backwards? I answer without much conviction: "because one can?" "because it looks pretty?" "because I'm old, foolish, and delusional"? Anyway, I can't resist a ski bargain, and can't wait to try these darlings out next week.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 pm

nice! so i looked at those, and the 165 with a 122 tip and 88 waist looks like something i am kind of interested in. you will have to say something about how they are! could you post a pic of the bindings? thanks, have fun!

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 pm

I needed to move the heel-pieces back to accommodate my boots. Anyway, I went today to Winter Park to try out the new-to-me Voodoos. I didn't have very high expectations as the skis are a pre-2010 discontinued model, and info on them is fairly scarce. They are in great shape, however, and came with BD 02 bindings, a pricey, but discontinued binding, with a full-pivot touring mode. I skied a few hours on hard pack and stayed off the bumps. I was really happy. They BD bindings are a softer, more flexible binding than my Vices. If I wanted to, I could probably stiffen the BD's up by replacing the cartridges with a stiffer set. The skis are 175's, 6cm. longer than my go-to Salomon Q-90's, but feel nimble underfoot. They perform well at speed. More importantly, perhaps, they were very obedient at slow speeds which bodes well for overall control in varying conditions. Next step might be to get skins for them as the "tour mode" begs to be exercised.

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:03 pm

No skins purchased yet, because no plans in sight of up-hilling anywhere soon. My youngest son is visiting for his high school March break and he's liking them. 2nd day after a 2-month hiatus and he's doing 360's and backwards tele turns on them. Looking better than me in the moguls, too. He's liking them. I wish I'd started tele when I had a teenage body and could afford risking frequent falls. But very glad to be doing it lots and loving it after a late start. Was in awe of tele-skiing for 30 years before I had the time, freedom, and resources to indulge. Better late than never...