Leather boots and liners

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
AKjohn

Leather boots and liners

Post by AKjohn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:40 pm

So I saw something interesting the other day. My wife just started working for her friend who does wilderness emergency education, first aid etc. She (the owner of the company) at another stage of her life had guided trips to Denali's summit. My wife and the owner were going over things and that left me to look at some of her gear. I had told her that I was needing to get boots and happened to be looking at her boots on a shelf. She had a set of modern tele boots but next to them were an old set of Asolo leather boots but they looked different the boots were actually sized too big and she had put ski boot liner in them. She saw me looking at them and told me she loved the boots that those had actually been to the summit of Denali. I hadn't seen that done before, maybe it used to be more common but I found it interesting.

t-$

Re: Leather boots and liners

Post by t-$ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:11 pm

that's a great trick to remember akj. if i end up dabbling in that realm and can't find leathers my size, this might be a usable workaround. thanks!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Good thinking....Have some Boots from Boots a transplant from UP over in Michigan...Former Linebacker for one of those Division one teams...Huge feet...Size 14 are a bit small....Figure I could put my boot in his boot...TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:49 am

I have weird feet... Both my Alaska 75 and BC are super comfy, but heel lift is a bit problematic... So two years ago, I bought a pair of low top thermo moldable liners in my size, euro 43. And since then, I have been shopping (without any luck) for Alaskas size 47 to put the liners inside and have that perfect fit...!

So yep, I really think this is part of the wonderful future of XCD...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 pm

in the early 90's most of my telemark friends were using Alico Doubles with the liner removed & replaced by a ski boot liner. They all switched to Scarpas when they came out mid 90's. Hard to believe the exact same Alico Double from the early 90's is still available today...you can re-create history! :lol:

in the early snowboarding days we were using ski boot liners inside Sorel boots too, I think my feet took permanent damage. :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)