Nordic ICE Skaters... Les Quebecois? Je vous appelle

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

Re: Nordic ICE Skaters... Les Quebecois? Je vous appelle

Post by t-$ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 am

this looks like it could be a great homemade project. never though of it before since i haven't ice skated since i was a kid. it'd be alot of fun with all the ice we have here right now...

edited to add that i see my rank is now pinhead! hahah, appropriate since i just posted the pic of the first pair of pins i bought today and that was my 100th post! hehehe, another telereligious experience :lol: that's weird...
Last edited by t-$ on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 am

Johnny wrote:Pressure is almost always on the whole skate so don't bother much with flexors, it doesn't change a lot unless performance is your priority...
I think the reason for the stiffer flexor is not to increase the activeness of the binding, but to reduce heel lift- similar to skate/freestyle skiing.

Love your wooden Nordic skates BTW.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am

^^^^ Yep, I know... But stiff flexors to prevent lift is relevant with 200cm skating skis...
Not that much relevant with 30cm blades... Well, depending on boot/binding combination of course... Soft NNN boots would make good use of a stiff flexor...

I personally like the sound of the blade dragging on the ice... ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:06 am

Johnny, I was unable to find the wooden skates, what is the brand name?

I was surprised to see that they do it in plastic tele boots and AT boots and bindings.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:40 am

They are Zandstras skates... Imported from Holland... Strange, I just checked their 2017 catalog and they don't seem to make the wooden ones anymore...

http://www.zandstrasport.nl

lowangle al wrote:Lars, it was a rainy weekend in Lake Placid 30 years ago that prompted my move to Alaska.
I was very tempted to move to Yukon... But the availability (and price) of fresh fruits was a big issue for us...

Rainy days are forums days, as you can see and read... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 am

Looks like they stopped making them in the early 2000's. WHAT A BUMMER. I shall call the local shop and see what they think. Nothing on Ebay... right now at least.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Johnny wrote:They are Zandstras skates... Imported from Holland... Strange, I just checked their 2017 catalog and they don't seem to make the wooden ones anymore...

lowangle al wrote:Lars, it was a rainy weekend in Lake Placid 30 years ago that prompted my move to Alaska.
I was very tempted to move to Yukon... But the availability (and price) of fresh fruits was a big issue for us...

Thanks for the info Johnny. BTW Whitehorse was in the 40s F a week or so ago.

anemic

Post by anemic » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:09 am

lowangle al wrote:
Johnny wrote:They are Zandstras skates... Imported from Holland... Strange, I just checked their 2017 catalog and they don't seem to make the wooden ones anymore...

Thanks for the info Johnny. BTW Whitehorse was in the 40s F a week or so ago.
Nordic skates are so much fun. I have racing skate boots which are a perfect match and I love the skate flexor clap skate snap return. The tip rocker works so well on lake ice which has ice fishing holes and fault lines, glowing right over all those bumps. They are sooo fast! Use skate length poles.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi!

Sorry to say that les québécois (comme moi) will not be of too much help here. What you need to do is speak to a Swede! But fortunately, my partner comes from that far away place and I have had a chance to partake in this fabulous sport on a few occasions there. What you want with these skates are either NNN-BC bindings with the flexor swapped for a red one of Skate ski bindings and boots. Forget classic shoes, they are too soft. You need good ankle support. The BC boots will be good if you plan on going out in cold weather for extended periods (a whole day). Otherwize, the skate option is lighter so might be prefered for a fast outing in milder weather. Enjoy!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM