Nordic ICE Skaters... Les Quebecois? Je vous appelle

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Re: Nordic ICE Skaters... Les Quebecois? Je vous appelle

Post by 12gaugesage » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Always been intrigued by these myself, just not sure what they can handle in terms of conditions/angle/terrain. Does the surface need to be flat and smooth? Can they climb? I'm fantasizing about ripping down iced over mtb trails, but Im not sure if thats outside of their intended range of use.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am

My understanding is that you would use them where you would use ice skates.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:31 pm

lowangle al wrote:My understanding is that you would use them where you would use ice skates.

Well thats no fun... :(
I know they're used on frozen rivers, and most frozen rivers where I've lived are chunky, bumpy messes. I realize thats not the case everywhere, but Ive often wondered if nordic skates could go where standard skates can't, and where the limit is for them.
Might have to carve out a new niche, "mountain skating"

Basically Im a gear geek/addict/hoarder and seeing as I own the boots, I might as well own every compatible accessory.

I see they kite with them too, which must be pretty rad.

I remember the pain from falling on my knees when I was learning to skate as a child, good lord it was terrible.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 pm

12gaugesage wrote:seeing as I own the boots, I might as well own every compatible accessory.

I see they kite with them too, which must be pretty rad.
There is something to this.

I met the person that sells the kites for these here in NH at Pine Hill XC in New London (the best xc ski club in the world, if I may say so) and she and her husband got into it in Finland and started importing them into the States and the rest is history. They will kite-skate Newfound Lake for instance from end to end... sounds wild. I think on skis too. Still wild.

I know there is good nordic skating in Vermont and different parts of different rivers can freeze really nice. The Saco might be a little rough/tumbling in your neck of the woods but IIRC there's a part of the CT RIver that freezes, something like 18 miles, and makes for amazing touring.