the *best* blue run downhill ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: the *best* blue run downhill ski?

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:16 pm

The World Piste is an exceptionally forgiving ski, and still capable of difficult descents. Easily skied with something T2ish, and I wouldn't hesitate trying Excursion s or T3, T4. K2's from that era tend to ski a little long for their given length, and are fairly soft camber and flex - all of which is nice for us lightweights. I skied these for years, until an unfortunate tuning blunder in a local ski shop.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Well, been finding things on cl and the prices are good. I just picked up some Fischer black ice skis, they have some nice side cut and seem about the right softness. I'll give me a whirl, hopefully soon. Also have some t2's that are waiting for me, barely used and also very cheap. So this is a bit beefier setup than I originally intended, but it'll be fun to cobble together and see what happens!!! Haha, I'm sure after all this trouble I may just ditch them to ski the eons. But it'll be nice to have something I might feel more stable with on piste

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:38 pm

And there are some world pistes locally that I am waiting to hear back on so, ya never know, I might end up with those too...

t-$

Post by t-$ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:54 pm

the eons could be the best blue run ski for a relative beginner. some icy spots at boyne today, but did a ton of runs. skis are better skiers than i am. had some really good turns and only fell once or twice. i think i now know what people mean when they say "fake-a-mark", as i had some turns where i realized i was just carving with the lead and had 0 weight on my back leg, even though i was basically in a tele stance. also, i found it easier to do real short lead changes and quick turns. i felt much more entered and stable and doing real turns like this. the long tuns were almost too slow or something. i was really trying to get down into some deeper turns just to see how it felt and i almost always lost my balance. but all in all, it was an awesome day. plus, i was only one of a few xc people to buy passes, so the guy said it was a discount day. $9 for a pass. there is one lift at boyne that the xc people can use to get to the top trails. so i just did the runs, and nobody checked my lift ticket until then end of the day. by that point she just let me take it back up cause i had to get over to my car (even though i was on xc skis, i didn't tell her that and i guess she didn't realize i could ski there, or she just didn't care). anyways, got a whole day at boyne for less than 10. had a ton of great runs, even with marginal conditions. very happy with the eons today. maybe i won't keep looking for the perfect ski...
boyne.jpg

anemic

Post by anemic » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:31 pm

t-$ wrote:the eons could be the best blue run ski for a relative beginner. some icy spots at boyne today, but did a ton of runs. skis are better skiers than i am. had some really good turns and only fell once or twice. i think i now know what people mean when they say "fake-a-mark", as i had some turns where i realized i was just carving with the lead and had 0 weight on my back leg, even though i was basically in a tele stance. also, i found it easier to do real short lead changes and quick turns. i felt much more entered and stable and doing real turns like this. the long tuns were almost too slow or something. i was really trying to get down into some deeper turns just to see how it felt and i almost always lost my balance. but all in all, it was an awesome day. plus, i was only one of a few xc people to buy passes, so the guy said it was a discount day. $9 for a pass. there is one lift at boyne that the xc people can use to get to the top trails. so i just did the runs, and nobody checked my lift ticket until then end of the day. by that point she just let me take it back up cause i had to get over to my car (even though i was on xc skis, i didn't tell her that and i guess she didn't realize i could ski there, or she just didn't care). anyways, got a whole day at boyne for less than 10. had a ton of great runs, even with marginal conditions. very happy with the eons today. maybe i won't keep looking for the perfect ski...
That's a great story t$

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk
Call it Nordic Freeride

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:51 pm

hahaha, thanks anemic. i know i probly shouldnt boast about taking advantage of a ski hill. but whatever, i'm not out for sponsorships :) i see one of the bc ski series is this saturday, are you guys heading over there? i can't make it down this weekend, but hope to get to the one in late february... have fun down there, hope you have some snow