XC Backcountry Skis For 275 lb Newbie?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: XC Backcountry Skis For 275 lb Newbie?

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:37 pm

It sounds like you have everything you need to go Tom. I suggest going to the resort and taking a downhill ski lesson. You can learn how to get on and off the lift in a safe manner and do some wedge or snowplow turns to control your speed. I would ask them if you can wear your tele set up or rent downhill gear. Either way you will learn enough to get you started on your own.

As far as the lighter gear you are considering I wouldn't take it to the resort. I also think you should stick with the T2s for all of your skiing at least until you get comfortable with balance. I'm almost the same age as you and my balance isn't what it used to be. Sometimes I tip over in street shoes. Those T2s with a wider ski will help keep you upright.

If I were you I would invest in a single camber wider No wax ski that would be a good match with your T2s instead of getting lighter stuff. Ideally the Vector bc because it just makes things easier and safer than a Karhu Guide or Madshue Annum that don't have the tortional rigidity for the resort. There are other skis that will work though.

Big Boulder was a fun place to ski back in the eighties. They used to play reggae music from speakers on the lift towers.

You never mentioned poles. I would get poles in more of a downhill length than a xc length. Mine are 125cm for general bc use but I may go down to 110 or 115 for the resort.

TomBrooklyn

Post by TomBrooklyn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:49 am

lowangle al wrote:As far as the lighter gear you are considering I wouldn't take it to the resort.
I didn't even know there were any BXC waxless skis capable of resort use until you mentioned it, Al.
lowangle al wrote: I also think you should stick with the T2s for all of your skiing at least until you get comfortable with balance...Those T2s with a wider ski will help keep you upright.

I had thought the T2s would be too stiff for the kind of skis I would be getting, but I'll use them if it will help. The heaviest BXC ski I was aware of was the Karhu Guide (and the Madshus equivalent), but I was leaning towards getting the Karhu 10th Mountain or similar, as from watching the ORS video on Karhu BCX skis (on you tube), I learned the 10th Mountain has the glide for flat touring as well as being able to carve some turns, and I'll be doing flats as well as rolling hills. I was also aware of the Rossignol BC60, 80 and 90 or something like that, and was leaning towards the wider ones.
lowangle al wrote:If I were you I would invest in a single camber wider No wax ski that would be a good match with your T2s instead of getting lighter stuff. Ideally the Vector bc because it just makes things easier and safer than a Karhu Guide or Madshue Annum that don't have the tortional rigidity for the resort. There are other skis that will work though.

I wasn't aware of the Vector. I'm looking that up now, and I just saw Rossignol has a 125 width which is similar; and apparently they are sturdy enough to use at the resort as well as off. So I'll be looking more into that. Thanks.

I found a chap on craigslist who has a bunch of BXC skis for sale, and I hope to be meet up with him this week when he returns from the Adirondacks. But he seems to have lighter duty skis, albeit with 3 pin bindings. He told me they have partial metal edges, and suggested a leather boot to go with them. They sound good enough for the golf course, though, to give me started skiing; while I continue to look for something stronger like the Vector BC. I will try them with the T2s at first.

I also just took delivery of a pair of Garmont Ener-G boots which I grabbed off eBay when I saw my size being auctioned. So I should be set for boots when I work my way up.
lowangle al wrote: You never mentioned poles. I would get poles in more of a downhill length than a xc length. Mine are 125cm for general bc use but I may go down to 110 or 115 for the resort.

I got some "regular" poles from somewhere. They look to be about average length that I've seen people using at the resort. I'll measure them later, and check if they are about right. They are pink (in color), thank you very much. I was thinking to paint them a different color. It just occurred to me to wonder if they are lighter duty because they are women's poles. I probably won't be putting a lot of stress on them for now, though, even at my 270 lb weight, as I won't be skiing fast at first.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 pm

TomBrooklyn wrote: I wasn't aware of the Vector. I'm looking that up now, and I just saw Rossignol has a 125 width which is similar; and apparently they are sturdy enough to use at the resort as well as off. So I'll be looking more into that. Thanks.
These two skis are just going to be two different animals entirely depending on what you're attempting to do. Research carefully and manage expectations. I have skied the Vector and other Voile products and they are worth every single penny. The Rossignol 125 isn't something Rossignol is pouring their love and efforts and money into. It is a good ski, with a purpose, and there's a skier out there for it and it may be you, but it won't be anything like the Vector. Just FYI.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:38 pm

The vector is a better ski, designed as an alpine ski capable of skiing alpine terrain and also good for touring. From my experience and that of others it is a superior climber and turner and also has kick and glide. The best thing is that there is now an Ultra Vector and the origional is on sale making it a great value.

I think this ski will be the easiest for you to learn on, being easier to turn and control your speed. You need something really stable and easy to handle, and with a proper lesson you would have a good chance of staying upright. I took my mother out xc skiing when she was about 50, she went ten feet, fell down and broke her wrist. My friend took his dad to the resort when he was mid 60s, first day out he had a career ending shoulder injury.

Tom, you've got the boots and bindings and if you got the vector bc I think you would have one ski that is a great option for the resort and the golf course or safer yet a snow covered frozen lake.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Hey Tom there is a telemark festival at camelback on Saturday. They will have lessons and gear demos.