XCD, Telemark, xc on piste, Madshus, Eon,whatever

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:05 pm

Madshus Eon, XCD, back country skiing, Telemark, NNN BC, xc on piste, whatever

get this combination. the eon, alaska, nnn bc combo is where it's at. i'm not a "big mountain" skier, i'm an "everyday skier". will this take you to the ends of the earth? no, but i think if you were determined enough, maybe.

the perspective is different if you are a steep skier looking to step down, but honestly, who does that? (if you did, i think this would even satisfy you) my perspective is of a xc/bc skier who wants to have more control over snow/conditions/equipment.

--disclaimer--
i have skied these only maybe a dozen times. half of that was nearly staight k&g, with some real small hills thrown in. they are a sacrifice here cause they don't have the glide of a long ski. but, even in michigan, the terrain i do get is so much more fun on these than anything else i've been on (again, coming from a straight xc background).

but, i took them on the lift-serve for the first time. sooooo fun!!! i ain't crushing it, but i think i am having more fun than pretty much everyone else on the hill. (and damn, i look good :lol: )

i wish i woulda got the leash plate with the bindings. i think this could be the next downhill revolution...(totally kidding. you know what happens, a bunch of people get it, look shitty skiing, and then everyone says it's junk...wait a second, that's already happening)

anyways, sorry, i'm having too much fun on these

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: XCD, Telemark, xc on piste, Madshus, Eon,whatever

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 pm

I started at the resort with leather boots 3pins and double camber skis and had a great time. That set up will work better at the resort than a lot of bc conditions, especially off trail. As you use all the different gear you have and get proficient on it you will be happy you have options to match the conditions.

Here is an example. I went out on Friday with leather boots and a narrow single camber ski. I was making nice turns but because of the rough base under the few inches of powder it felt like an accident waiting to happen. I only did one run each on hills I usually do some laps on. I went back to the same trail Saturday with T4s and vectors and the fun factor was much greater. We did multiple laps and had a great time. I went out yesterday on T4s and vectors again and the trail were harder packed and the powder on the sides was packed out and the fun was gone. Next time I go back I'll be switch to leather boots with a double camber ski and pretty much forget about making turns.

Young Satchel

Post by Young Satchel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 pm

Man, I remember what “having too much fun on these” was like. I was just getting started with the too much fun. But then it rained a lot. And all
The snow went away. And now it’s cold, but not snowing.

I want to have the too much funs again!

Glad you are enjoying the setup man. Sounds like a blast. I’m trying to remember how the Eons compare to the Fischer 78s I ended up with. Feel like they were sort of the Madshus equivalent so to speak?

* heads off to google * . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:05 pm

Yes, it's fun. And there's always learning, some forgetting, then some more learning. Today in Grand County air temps went up around 40 F, 3-5 C, with raging winds and grey skies. I headed over to the Fraser Experimental Forest to explore some trails I haven't yet skied on. Tried my Karhu XCD's with violet (I hate over-waxing as the snow always ends up being a few degrees colder than the air up in the mountains.) I got about 50 m from the car. Slip, slidin' awayyyy! Wasn't gonna work. So switched to my S-Bound 98's and had a wonderful 3 hours on snowmobile/human traffic track on trails and unplowed forest roads. The skis worked great. All the grip I needed and okay glide. Very happy to be outdoors. "Whatever" is a wise sentiment. Nice to have a few gear options when conditions are challenging. A pair of snowshoes or boot studs are good to have in the trunk, too. Otherwise we might end up staying inside when the weather turns shite.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:29 am

howdy!

it is nice having a couple different skis. currently it is hovering around the freezing mark and has been snowing a couple inches over the last 2 days. we have similar conditions of a few inches on ice. last night i took the usgi's out on the back trails and had a blast. i'm sure it would have been fun on the eon's too, but the asnes was it for last night.

one thing i found surprising was that after some intense turn practice i am much more comfortable turning the usgi's and even on cruddy conditions i was able to do some nice low angle stuff with confidence, and the turns were much sharper than they have ever been on these skis. practice makes perfect, i guess.

yay, xcd is fun!

while i love bc, it was pretty nice to be able to ride the lifts and put 0 effort into getting a lot of turns. but, it's not an everyday thing....

Oldbie

Post by Oldbie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 pm

Kinda doing the same thing; got my boys snowboards for Christmas and took them to the tiny tow-rope serviced downhill slope near our house for lessons. I saw some guys there training for the Birkie, and it occurred to me that I could bring my Nordic setup there. The next trip, I dug my well-worn Karhu Pinnacles out of the basement that I got for snow camping quite a while back, and had an absolute blast. On the second trip, I blew out the sole on one of my 15 year-old nnnbc boots, so I ordered some Alpina Montanas for about 50% off online, and have gone out a few times on them. Fit, rigidity/flex, and warmth seem good for this application, but haven't put trail miles on them yet. Parallel turns come pretty easy-I don't know how cool they look, but they feel cool and get me down the hill. Skiing is really fun! I'm searching out pocket Backcountry spots (we live in the Midwest) that we can hike up and slide down and keep the adventures going, with enough time to get home to make dinner.

t-$

Post by t-$ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:30 pm

i agree, skiing is totally fun. doesn't matter what kind, it's just a good time (until you wreck of course). i feel kinda crappy when i tell people though that i hung up the snowboard cause after boarding in alaska and the alps for the last few years, lower michigan hills just don't do it for me (and especially not for the average price of a lift ticket) :(

but never having been a downhill skier, "raging" the lift serve here on xcd stuff is definitely challenging! and a whole lotta fun! but getting out away from the people is where my heart really lies. those pocket backcountry spots you speak of are where its at....